asparagus

• 20 Replies

muntjac

asparagus
« on: January 04, 2007, 23:09 »
took some from the freezer tonite to that out for a quche for dinner the morrows and it looks great .still snaps and tastes lovly ( raw  ) have had to clean all the fernsoff this last couple days  dam its hard werk .will take a piccy of the plot asap .and my little pile  of chicken manure  :wink:
still alive /............

ted_woodley

asparagus
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 15:52 »
Anything I can do to counter asparagus beetle over the winter ? I don't want to spray the asparagus during the cutting season.

muntjac

asparagus
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 20:21 »
my asparagus beds .

heres how to control them mate  a couple ways i just have the beds raked and sprayed

Asparagus beetle eats the tips and foliage so spray with this

Liquid Rotenone/Pyrethrin Spray
Concentrate makes up to 48 gallons of ready to use spray.

Active Ingredients:                Rotenone – 1.0%
  Other cube extractives – 2.20%
Pyrethrins – 0.80%
Inert ingredients                 – 95.90%
Total………………………………………100%

A combination of insecticides for easy mixing with water. Safe for use on the listed fruits, vegetables, and ornamental plants. Also for use on dogs and cats to kill lice, fleas, and ticks.

Mix the product with water as directed in the following chart to control the listed pests of ornamentals, vegetables, fruits and berries. Use a hand or automatic sprayer as a coarse spray. Use sufficient spray to mix to give complete coverage of the plant.

sites:
Fruits and berries such as apple, pear, peach, plum, cherry, grape, currant, gooseberry, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, and blueberry.
Pests
 Volume of Product/gallon of water

APHIDS, LEAFHOPPERS, EXPOSED THRIPS
 1 TEASPOON

IMPORTED CURRANT WORMS, GOOSEBERRY FRUIT WORMS, RASPBERRY FRUIT WORMS, BLUEBERRY MAGGOTS, CHERRY FRUIT FLIES, STRAWBERRY ROOT WORMS (ADULT), RED-NECKED BORERS, JAPANESE BEETLES, AND MITES.
 2 TEASPOONS

STRAWBERRY LEAFROLLERS AND ROSE CHAFERS
 4 TEASPOONS

Comments:
Do not apply within one day of collection. Repeat every 5 - 10 days as needed.

Fire Ants:
For use in lawns, gardens, around buildings, agricultural land, golf courses, campgrounds, and recreational areas. Thoroughly mix 2 – 4 tablespoons in 2 gals. Of water and saturate the mound and surrounding area to a 4ft diameter. Repeat in 7 – 10 days or as necessary. Treat new mounds as they appear. Application should be made as a gentle rain from a sprinkler can or using low-pressure spray since pressurized sprays may disturb the ants causing migration and reducing product effectiveness.

Recommendations for use of this product are based on tests believed to be reliable. The buyer must assume all responsibility for use of this product when not used in strict accordance with directions of established safe practice, or when used under abnormal conditions not reasonably foreseeable to the seller.
To kill lice, fleas and ticks on dogs, cats and premises:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
asparagus
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 09:32 »
eh?? ALL of that is your asparagus?? dear god..

muntjac

asparagus
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 11:52 »
its commercial sad mate i only take about 20 fresh bunches a year and then at the end of the season i go in and clear all the shoots off and clean the weeds out ( with help ) and freeze a load

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
asparagus
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 12:00 »
ah right I get ya... must get me some to start growing this year

Puff

asparagus
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 12:34 »
Cor, that's HUGE  :shock:

I'll be attempting asparagus, but on a slightly smaller scale - er about 4ft x 4ft    8)

muntjac

asparagus
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 12:46 »
that will give you a nice meal for 2 in the season every couple weeks  :wink:  steam them dont boil it takes all the taste away .also grilled is nice after you steam them  fried off mushrooms and shallots with a teaspoon dijon in cream just cook it off dont let it burn add drop white wine then serve with the sparragrass

Puff

asparagus
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 12:52 »
Ooh that sounds a nice way to eat 'em. Never knew you could grill them.

I can't wait to have some tasty home grown asparagus, the supermarket stuff is 'orrible, leaves an aftertaste that comes through even after gentle steaming, and what they label as 'tender' gawd, woody isn't the word  :x

*flicks V signs at Tescos*   :lol:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
asparagus
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 13:42 »
oven roasted for me.. tiny bit of extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkle of sea salt.. 5 mins hot oven, perfect...

MontyTom

• Experienced Member
asparagus
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 23:08 »
Karl, you ever grown the stuff from seed?  I have recently ordered some from the Johnsons website to try this year.  Are any particular types better for our climate than others?

muntjac

asparagus
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 23:24 »
no mate i havent it takes 3 yrs  to come right for harvesting i think ..i bought 2nd year crowns

muntjac

asparagus
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 23:26 »
just one thing ...DO NOT plant asparagus anywhere near any of the onion family or in a bed that was used for onions last year. you may as well kiss it goodbye if you do

Garden Gnome

asparagus
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 18:22 »
Gosh, muntjac, this fascinates me: ok, it doesn't take MUCH!  :lol:

Is it the thingy of plants clashing, i.e. the opposite of complementary planting?

muntjac

asparagus
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 20:09 »
no gnomey the onion blight and other diseases they can carry /produce etc wil knock ya sparragrass for six the sparragrass an onions etc are all the same family ,another thing notto do is continually cut the spears even tho they look tempting .this wil end in crown rot, cut when the spears no longer than 6 nches and stop .... I SAID  STOP on june 21st  :wink: and chuck some nice loose manure on em if you want to know some more about the healthy heart properties of sparragrass and if ya sex drive is slipping lke what shauns is go here to this site its got a good rep as far as i am concerned ...... well i havent told them i am going to come and force feed them fat balls .. yet :wink:

http://www.vermisell.co.uk/index.htm

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus

Started by wendyalice on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 20:55
by smc

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 28 queries.