Chicken Out campaign & Tesco ...

• 5 Replies

peggyprice

« on: May 23, 2008, 18:32 »
If you would like to support Hugh F-W's efforts to persuade Tesco - the only major supermarket still resisting all efforts - to go freerange, have a look at this:

http://www.chickenout.tv/major-announcement2.html

Speaking entirely personally so as not to infringe any trading rules, I am certainly up for buying a share in Tesco for around £30 in order to vote in favour of Hugh's resolution being presented at the AGM at the end of June ....
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 23:14 »
I had this via email a few days ago, I just couldn't bring myself to invest 30p in Tesco let alone £30, I really do hate going in the place.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

peggyprice

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 23:25 »
Means to an end, Richy, means to an end ...

I figure I can buy one share (actually, most of the £30 goes to the stockbroker which is a bit galling, but hey ho) and make a little bit of difference, because I no longer give them any of my food-housekeeping-petrol money; that all goes to Mr Sainsbury now on the basis that they are at least trying to go FR  :)

We each do what we can and make the choices we make to make the difference we want to see ... :lol:

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 23:30 »
sorry peggy must have missed this post  :oops:  went looking for it after reading other post and couldnt find it. have  now tho  :oops:

i do agree with most of  what Hugh does and he does try hard bless him some of it i wonder if its not a bit contrived  :?

cant buy shares in that company but might  join the mailing list for  river cottage just reading thro the link  you gave now ..

peggyprice

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 00:03 »
Quote from: "nettynoodles1"
sorry peggy must have missed this post  :oops:  went looking for it after reading other post and couldnt find it. have  now tho  :oops:

i do agree with most of  what Hugh does and he does try hard bless him some of it i wonder if its not a bit contrived  :?

cant buy shares in that company but might  join the mailing list for  river cottage just reading thro the link  you gave now ..

I've had quite a lot of involvement with TV and other media over the years, and bizarrely the more natural you want something to look the more contrived it usually has to be (it's harder than it looks  :lol: ); but generally speaking, particularly on the Beeb and C4, it does come from a genuine desire to inform and educate (tho' I have known exceptions  :? );

To be honest I've never watched any of his programmes, but I do think that he's at least putting his money where his mouth is with the Tesco campaign; and if all it does is gain a few headlines but point a few more people towards understanding a bit more about the story behind their food, that's fine by me ...  :lol:  

And whilst I (sort of) understand people's ethical objection to buying shares in Tesco, there are in reality only two sorts of people that have any power or influence over corporate businesses - customers (and we can all vote with our feet) and shareholders (who can vote in a more direct way).  

I've lost confidence in any possibility of Tesco listening to customers unless there is a HUGE upswell of opinion - they're too big, too many people will continue to shop there no matter what, and they've never had a customer focused culture (try finding a manager on the shopfloor if you want to make a complaint about anything  :!: ) - so I figure shareholding is a more direct and reliable way of actually having an influence.  I rather like the idea of lots of little shareholders taking Tesco down a different route to the one expected - imagine, five years' time, Tesco wins 'Ethical Business of the Year' award  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry - getting late - I'm going on a bit - don't mean to - another bottle of wine, Foxy! - going bed now :!:  :oops:  :!:

Porffor

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 08:35 »
I confess to being a regular shopper at tescos' till a year ago. We voted with our feet, about more issues that just chicken.

xx
chicken out campaign

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 10:23
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Tesco Eggs Being Hatched!!

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 08:43
by The Chicken Lady
xx
Tesco eggs - is this normal

Started by digby on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 16, 2008, 21:21
by blulagoo
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 29 queries.