chicken out campaign

• 17 Replies

naturesparadise

chicken out campaign
« on: January 31, 2008, 14:37 »
this is being run by Hugh of River Cottage

You may have heard about the conditions involved in intensive factory farming of broiler (meat) chickens. Hugh of River Cottage fame has launched a national campaign to put pressure on the industry to raise its standards: the Chicken Out! campaign.

“Chicken Out! has so far been led by River Cottage locals, especially in and around Axminster, and we’ve had a fantastic response. But now I need your support. I’m asking all of you, as friends of River Cottage, to support this campaign and get it off to a flying start across the nation. “

http://www.chickenout.tv/sign-up.html

Foxy

chicken out campaign
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 14:46 »
Have signed up!!! :lol:

naturesparadise

chicken out campaign
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 17:34 »
great well done im all for helping our animal friends

Wildeone

chicken out campaign
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:57 »
:D Brilliant!!!
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
chicken out campaign
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 13:14 »
that's great news!

I was in Tesco's on monday looking for free range chicken breast but all i could find was some that had been more ethically farmed.  I didn't want to buy it but in the absence of anything else I had to.  Normally I don't buy any chicken if FR isn't available.

I hope Tesco's do stock more FR chooks, but it takes time for supply to catch up with demand so it may be a few months yet before we see them on the shelves.

Personally, I'm going to have a go at raising my own and doing the deed myself.

Wildeone

chicken out campaign
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 13:20 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
that's great news!

I was in Tesco's on monday looking for free range chicken breast but all i could find was some that had been more ethically farmed.  I didn't want to buy it but in the absence of anything else I had to.  Normally I don't buy any chicken if FR isn't available.

I hope Tesco's do stock more FR chooks, but it takes time for supply to catch up with demand so it may be a few months yet before we see them on the shelves.

Personally, I'm going to have a go at raising my own and doing the deed myself.
 Let us know how you get on!!! I'd be fine raising them and eating them but just the act of killing them i know is beyond me!  Good on yer for giving it ago tho'. :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
chicken out campaign
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 13:26 »
well I'm going to follow Munty's instructions from a previous post (photographs included in it) and I've got the John Seymore book about self sufficient living, and also I've been gearing myself up for it for a while so I think I'll be OK.  

I'm going to get another lottie person who has done it before to show me on the first couple and then to guide me through on my first one's.  

I'll let you know how I get on!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
chicken out campaign
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 16:31 »
Good on yer Suzi  :!:

naturesparadise

chicken out campaign
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 16:46 »
i could not do it my self your braver than me

iv shot birds for people before when i had the airgun but i could not do all the gutting bit

agapanthus

chicken out campaign
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 16:49 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
well I'm going to follow Munty's instructions from a previous post (photographs included in it) and I've got the John Seymore book about self sufficient living, and also I've been gearing myself up for it for a while so I think I'll be OK.  

I'm going to get another lottie person who has done it before to show me on the first couple and then to guide me through on my first one's.  

I'll let you know how I get on!

Good for you snoozi!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

dangolding

chicken out campaign
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 20:51 »
The campaign was a great idea but I believe that the next stop should be keeping chickens at home

OK, I know I'm talking to the converted, but it wasn't so long ago that my grandparents kept chickens for eggs and meat.

The first kill is the hardest, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it - I'm now down to 15 minutes a bird, although my first attempt took nearly 3 hours!!!

Wildeone

chicken out campaign
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 07:59 »
Quote from: "dangolding"
The campaign was a great idea but I believe that the next stop should be keeping chickens at home

OK, I know I'm talking to the converted, but it wasn't so long ago that my grandparents kept chickens for eggs and meat.

The first kill is the hardest, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it - I'm now down to 15 minutes a bird, although my first attempt took nearly 3 hours!!!
15 minutes to kill a bird!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?? are you sure?  :shock:

muntjac

chicken out campaign
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 08:19 »
hope he means from killing to plucked,,,,,, 6 mins for me  :wink:  see my article on this subject.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=8581&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
still alive /............

Wildeone

chicken out campaign
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 08:23 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
hope he means from killing to plucked,,,,,, 6 mins for me  :wink:  see my on this subject.

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=8581&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Munty darling speed doesn't often impress women but i'll give you the benfit of the doubt this time!  :wink:

xx
Chicken Out campaign & Tesco ...

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 08:35
by Porffor
xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
chicken poo

Started by brrian on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 02:47
by hillfooter
sad
ill chicken

Started by Rita on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 28, 2011, 05:46
by Lindeggs

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 37 queries.