HELP - My tomatoes have something horrible

• 11 Replies

Sassy Lassy

« on: May 08, 2008, 21:27 »
Hopefull you can see some photos of my tomato plants.  I can see anything eating them, although they could be microscopic.  I have sprayed them with bug stuff just in case.  Thought it might be a deficiency of something so I have fed them with growmore.  I have got tomatoe feed so will try that next feed.  The stems seem fine at the moment, no blackening etc.

Can anyone help.

Sassy

Sassy Lassy

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 21:40 »
I'll try again to up load tomato photos

Sorry they are so big, not sure how to reduce their size at the moment.

Sassy

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 23:01 »
Here you go the Tomato problem solver have a look through here and give yourself nightmares !! only joking  :lol:  worth bookmarking  :idea:

Bottom 2 pics look like they have been nibbled from one side of the leaf usually the underside,  I'm probably wrong tho'  :D
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

sharky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 23:21 »
Ugh, tomatoes seen to suffer from so many problems. I think it would be difficult for one that is self sufficient to rely on their own crop each and every year.  :?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 04:47 »
Pic #1 appears to have a phosphorous deficiency. need to add some chicken pellets for fast feeding as well as bonemeal for longer term feeding.
Pic #2 is flea beatle damage. They're hard to get rid of, but a catch plant of nasturtiums usually lures them away. Buy some nasturtiums and keep them close to the toms until you notice the problem is clear, the move the nastrutiums away.

Sassy Lassy

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 07:25 »
Thanks for the advice.  I have looked at the Tomatoe link but don't think its any of those pictures (at the moment - but there still time!), I will try the pelletized poo and I have sown some Nasturtiums, and there is a plant sale in the village tomorrow morning, I will see if I can get some from there.  

Do you suggest I leave them in the Greenhouse or plant them outside? (poss June)

Sassy

gobs

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 10:00 »
Horrible it might look, pics 2-3, old tomato leaves can go like that without any reason other than age, the first one, did you paint that? :lol:

As that is a seed leaf, just lose it, if the rest OK I would not worry.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 14:51 »
Sassy, it depends on how warm it is in your area before you plant toms outside. The flea beatle damage is a definite - I've had it before. It doesn't kill the plant but it definitely slows it down at this young stage so I'd recommend the nasturtiums to draw the beatles away. When the tom plant gets larger, you can slowly remove some of the damaged leaves as the plant won't need all the leaves later. Flea beatles will also go after turnip leaves in case you're growing those.
But the top plant shouldn't have leaves that colour. If anything, primary seed leaves should just be very pale once true leaves fill out. There's definitely a nutrient shortage with yours.

gobs

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 17:37 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
The flea beatle damage is a definite

Not without any beetles on them, Tril. :wink:

I don't know how common tomato flea beetle is in the UK, I have yet to meet one. Even if it is, it'd be an outdoor problem, wouldn't it?

Also, tomatoes get sown or young seedlings planted outdoors in spring here as commonly as our snow turns up.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 18:29 »
They disappear when disturbed, which they'd be for the pix. Sassy, do you have any eggplant or radishes nearby? Because that's where they'd head to, unless you have a resident toad eating them up.

Sassy Lassy

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 21:37 »
thanks for the replies.  The tomatoes are growing on their own in the greenhouse in growbag compost.  However one of the pots has my mums compost in it.  This could be the culprit!  I will check tomorrow with a magnifying glass.   I have now found another problem which I will photo tomorrow and try and post on here.  It's not looking good.

Is it too late to sow some new ones?

Sassy

gobs

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 23:13 »
No it's not late to re-sow.

But what folks don't realise is not often possible to get even near a pathogen from one leaf. :wink:  Other parts of plant are as much important to say the least, to have the slightest clue of what might be happening. 8)

xx
horrible swedes

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 15, 2013, 20:18
by shokkyy
xx
Get Set for another 2012..... Damp Horrible Summer.

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 16:54
by JayG
xx
Beans mutating into horrible things

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 21:11
by Ice
question
Funny, horrible black balls on my broccoli

Started by whitecat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 22:55
by whitecat

Page created in 0.792 seconds with 30 queries.