Leggy Seeds

• 6 Replies

plot36

Leggy Seeds
« on: May 04, 2008, 20:33 »
Advice needed pls.

The seedlings I have growing on my windowsill are becoming very leggy even tho I have put tin foil around one side as I read in these forums.

I usually grow seeds in my G/H but I also do some at home, as there is no room left in G/H on my plot or the plastic one I have in my garden at home.

The ones grown at home on my windowsill, how can I stop them going leggy?

Many Thanks

shaun

Leggy Seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 20:42 »
I thinks they are looking for the light,what seedlings are they ?
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

plot36

Leggy Seeds
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 20:45 »
The one growing the most leggy is the Sunflower. The Cabage and cumbers are not to bad but my Toms came to leggy also and yet they are all on window with lots of light and sun.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leggy Seeds
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 20:55 »
Quote from: "plot36"
The one growing the most leggy is the Sunflower. The Cabage and cumbers are not to bad but my Toms came to leggy also and yet they are all on window with lots of light and sun.

Firstly the cabbage & sunflowers do not need to be inside. Get them hardened off & outside.

How are the others planted, are they in individual pots or seed trays?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

plot36

Leggy Seeds
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 00:27 »
The seeds in the bowl are top left is sage, top right is dill, bottom left is cucumber and bottom right is cabbage. This bowl has a dome clear lid, which I put on till the seeds come though.

Take no notice of the stick with “climbing bean” that is an old stick.
I know some of these could go straight into the ground but I thought I would see which way produce the best plants and also to give them more of a chance to survive in the ground but maybe I am wrong to do this.

What I would like to know is what is making them leggy. When I read in the books/magazine   it says grow on windowsill and yet that is making my leggy what am I doing wrong

Thank you for your help

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Leggy Seeds
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 07:00 »
Quote from: "plot36"

What I would like to know is what is making them leggy.

Too much kindness!

The cucumbers are fine, get these potted up individually. If you have a greenhouse, get them there, that's where mine are and I've turned the heat off for now. (Keeping eye on forecast!).

I prefer to sow cucumbers in indiviual pots from the outset - much less disturbance. You may find the roots of these are tangled & they may sustain some damage. They should recover, but it will set them back.

Cabbages don't want warmth like this, pot them up & harden them off to get them outside.

Sage, likewise.

Dill does not like disturbance, you could try potting up & hardening off with a view to moving outside, but be prepared to re-sow.

gobs

Leggy Seeds
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 07:59 »
Race for light, overcrowded is a good reason itself. At this stage even the edge of the container will shade them, they are fine though, plant them up as DD says, look out for cold nights with the young sage.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
leggy seedlings

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 18:41
by casper
xx
Leggy plants

Started by ness on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2007, 23:17
by shaun
xx
leggy brassicas

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 18:47
by MJS
question
Leggy leeks

Started by Give it a go on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 11:33
by Give it a go

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 27 queries.