Help total gardening novice!

• 5 Replies

nina25

« on: April 27, 2008, 16:07 »
Hi, im new to this forum (and gardening!)  My husband and I have just secured an allotment two weeks ago literally 25 metres from our front door which is great.  The allotment was in pretty bad shape when we got it but last weekend we managed to turn over and de-weed two fairly large beds.  This weekend we have spent our sunday morning de-weeding and turning over again!  Weeds just seemed to have shot up and have really long thick roots already :cry:  Is this normal or is it a case of we didn't do it properly first time round?  I didn't really want to put weed killer down but it seems like this is going to be an impossible task to keep on top of.  Any advice would be much appreciated!
NINA25

aquitaine

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 16:40 »
We decided to go the hard route and take off all the turf before turning the ground over...longer job at present but we think we'll be glad when we have less weeding in the future!
What is your soil like? Ours is very heavy, and made worse by the constant rain we've had.
Ah well, every forkful turned is a few calories burned, and a mite nearer our own vegetables...beats my watching rubbish on the telly.
We're newbies as well, and have already found loads of help on this forum. Look forward to hearing how you progress
Lorna

Clampit

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 17:38 »
I'm on a new allotment this year, I just dug the area over, turning all the weeds in, then I gave it some welly with a rotavator chopping all the weeds up. As they grow (which they are doing quite nicely now) they are quite easy to remove from the soil. I know i'm going to have a lot of weeds this year but it should be better next year.

crowndale

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 18:11 »
I took mine on last october just after all the previous years annual weeds had set seed!  So although i am winning with the perenial weeds the annuals will be coming up forever!  Am just trying to keep on top of the annuals by hoeing them off before they seed again, doesn't help that one plot down is a veritable weed party (annuals) so I know I'll be fighting a losing battle on this one.  Lots of bind weed along the edges too mores the pity but thats being slowly dug out.

To answer your question though, if you don't dig out all the root from perenials then they will grow again and fast, and yes with thick roots.  most annuals would have much shallower root systems.  you need to dig down a long way for some roots like dandilion and docks and bind weed.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

nina25

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 19:03 »
Thanks for your comments.  My soil is quite good I think, there has been plenty of veg growing from the previous owner non edible unfortunately now.  I guess the initial weeding is just part and parcel of the journey I just didn't realise how determined the little things are! New gate, half turned over soil and various wonders growing away in the greenhouse - next step cleaning out the chicken coop and sprucing up the hens home for my eagerly awaited new chicks in July!  :D

sawnee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 20:10 »
Hello Nina25
sounds like you are really going for it  :wink:
Best of luck, the best tip I was given was 'dont over do it'   you have got the plot for as long as you want it so take your time, cover the weeds up on the bits you are not working on and nature will kill them off for you, it will save you a lot of work. And it is not so soul destroying as the forest of weeds will be hidden at least :D
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

xx
As a total novice

Started by tonybristol on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 20:09
by Jay Dubya
xx
Total Novice - Herb advice

Started by shazam21 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 19, 2016, 11:35
by DanielCoffey
xx
Hi from a total newbie

Started by cabte on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 22:22
by cabte
xx
Total Newbie!

Started by DaveM on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 16:10
by DaveM

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 27 queries.