I think I am turning mad.

• 35 Replies

lefrog

• Experienced Member
« on: April 27, 2008, 00:33 »
To start with, I noticed the tesco near where I live have a recycling  area, working with the tesco card, so instead of giving the recicling stuff to the council, I would rather get something out of it ( tesco point = air miles for holiday).
so tonight , coming back from work with a load of empty bottles to recycle, I noticed the recycling plant was out of order ...
what would you do?????
gathered as much recycling material as the back of the berlingo would take and dashed home.
score for the evening: roughly 500 bottle to recycle on my next day off .
500 bottle would be about 50/80 tesco green point so about 25 airmiles..

that s the first time I can think of a supermarket is giving something away for nothing ( sort of ... as they are calling themselves greener )
"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black"
Henry Ford

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 07:28 »
Question.........

How can they call themselves greener when they are giving away airmiles, or to be more accurate one of the options with the points is airmiles?

Now if they dropped this option & stopped flying in meat & veg from the other side of the world.....................
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:11 »
i keep all my plastic stuff instead of giving it to the council etc just for this,  and i gain my clubcard points only from this as the shopping points go on mum's card.

but i did read on another forum that they were stopping giving points because people were cutting items in half to gain more points.

i took mine friday and it said my points had been awarded but whether they are on my statement of not i don't know.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 09:27 »
Q so how does it work then ??

I don't as a general rule shop at Tesco, I agree with DD. airmiles cant be much further from being green you might as well go chop down a tree :roll:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 18:47 »
electronic machine where you swipe your clubcard, and insert items (plastic, foil, tin cans, glass, drinks cans etc) and it registers each item - sometimes it recognises the material too.

it registers when an item it put in, and awards a quarter of a point for each item.  press the finish button and it tells you how many points you've collected.

but like i say people have been cutting up items to create more "items" and i saw a message on another forum from someone who hadn't been awarded points by the machine and when she emailed tescos she was told they were stopping awarding points because of that.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: I think I am turning mad.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 18:54 »
Quote from: "lefrog"
gathered as much recycling material as the back of the berlingo would take and dashed home.
score for the evening: roughly 500 bottle to recycle on my next day off .
500 bottle would be about 50/80 tesco green point so about 25 airmiles..

:shock: Isn't that stealing  :!:

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 20:21 »
Nah, its recycling!
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 20:47 »
Quote from: "jennyb"
electronic machine where you swipe your clubcard, and insert items (plastic, foil, tin cans, glass, drinks cans etc) and it registers each item - sometimes it recognises the material too.

it registers when an item it put in, and awards a quarter of a point for each item.  press the finish button and it tells you how many points you've collected.

but like i say people have been cutting up items to create more "items" and i saw a message on another forum from someone who hadn't been awarded points by the machine and when she emailed tescos she was told they were stopping awarding points because of that.

Someone always finds away to cheat the system  :roll:  bit like when you could have a temporary paper card when you 1st joined or forgot yours it was loaded with 150 points so everyone was shopping, using a paper card then adding it to their plastic one next time they went in !

lefrog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 23:18 »
Stealing...
not really, the machine was out of order, so people decided to dump there "to be recycled material, right next to the machine.
I only picked the bottles I could carry.
I could be called a thief, I would rather be called an opportunist.
someone junk might be someone else treasure.

talking about tesco being green.... they are obviously not green, but telling people they are doing their bit to be greener, might be enough for some.
Aspargus =>peru
strawberries=>spain
fresh peas => israel
runner beans=> colombia.
who was talking about foodmiles.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 07:10 »
And why do they import lamb from New Zealand when the fields are full of the things running around here?

lefrog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 07:48 »
the same reason why during the full season of english apple you are more likely to find american apple in a supermarket rather than the english one.

it s the progress.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 10:50 »
Quote from: "DD."
And why do they import lamb from New Zealand when the fields are full of the things running around here?

Sainsbury's Prices

NZ leg of lamb £6.99/kg

Welsh leg of lamb £8.69/kg

That could be why.

Big Jen

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2008, 21:29 »
Stopped using Tesco because they sell Hal-al meat. I am not a vegy but cant condone any part in this barbaric practise. They completely ignored my complaints re this as well
BJ
There are three signs of old age. The first is your loss of memory, the other two I forget.

lefrog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2008, 23:32 »
the world is turning mad, it s cheaper to buy food halfway across the globe rather than "locally "grown.
that remind me when I was working in that all organic restaurant, checking the vegetable order made me smile a fair few times as the country of origin was on the invoice, that was in june and from what I can remember most of the vegetables travelled a good distance.
the future looks pretty bleak.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 07:11 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Quote from: "DD."

Sainsbury's Prices

NZ leg of lamb £6.99/kg

Welsh leg of lamb £8.69/kg

That could be why.

I give our local butcher the business. May cost a little more, but it's all local with no air or sea and few road miles involved.

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 28 queries.