Aspergillum fungus

• 7 Replies

stickywicket

Aspergillum fungus
« on: April 25, 2008, 13:37 »
I have had a tree chopped down and put the chippings up in my chicken run (thinking they would help stop any build up of mud) but have just read about this fungus that grows on bark and can be fatal to chickens if it gets in their lungs.

What is the likelihood of getting this? Do you think I should take the chippings out as there will be bark as well as wood in them? A hell of a job now I have spread them around! :?

Bodger

Aspergillum fungus
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 14:29 »
I don't think you're on to much of a sticky wicket there Sticky wicket. I know lots of people who keep their chickens on bark and have never heard them mention having had any problems.

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Aspergillum fungus
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 14:48 »
I use bark chipping in my run and they have been fine with that - in fact this is what omlet suggest to use if you cant move them round lawn. Ours are bought bags so don't know if they are treated.
Don't know anything about aspergillus and chickens but do know a bit about people (darn finals next week hence random knowledge about conditions that will probably not come up but have to know it anyway!)
It can cause asthma type symptoms to the spores in humans - people who have bad asthma in the winter this is usually the cause. I think aspergillus can also kill humans (aspergilliosis) but it is vanishingly rare and only really affects people who are already immunocompromised eg have HIV or are on some medication to knock out the immune system.

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Aspergillum fungus
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 14:57 »
mine have always been on bark, never had any problems.

jammy

Aspergillum fungus
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 15:41 »
Mine too are on bark, bought bags now but last year had a tree in the garden chopped down and chipped and used that for ages with no ill effects at all.

stickywicket

Aspergillum fungus
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 16:30 »
Thanks for that advice. I think I will leave it where it is now but if I need to buy some in the future I will check what it says on the bag as apparently some 'bark chippings' are just that and others are really wood chips with no bark content, which sounds like it might be the safest option. Sorry,  I must be barking mad to worry about this  :roll:  :roll:  :lol:

Foxy

Aspergillum fungus
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 17:44 »
Dont worry too much sticky!

Aspergillosis is rare in chickens and is an opportunistic mycosis in humans -other fungal spores  though may be present on the bark. As long as they are in the run and not the henhouse shouldnt be a problem. Spores would only be an issue if for example, in a ill ventilated damp henhouse there might be the possibilty of colonisation to infectious levels.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Aspergillum fungus
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 19:51 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
Dont worry too much sticky!

Aspergillosis is rare in chickens and is an opportunistic mycosis in humans -

Oooo Arrrrr that be farmers lung .

My chooks have been on bark for 3 years and none have ever had a respiratory problem.  But make sure the wood chips are not splintery in any way as they can injure their feet.

xx
fungus

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 19:04
by buttony22
xx
Fungus on earlobes?

Started by helens-hens on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 14:27
by helens-hens
xx
favus? Skin Fungus?

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 09:03
by happychickens
xx
Fungus Foot Infection?

Started by basildog on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 22:11
by henamoured

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 28 queries.