favus? Skin Fungus?

• 4 Replies

happychickens

favus? Skin Fungus?
« on: August 10, 2009, 13:24 »
Hi - I have posted some pictures, not very in focus with this problem under skin problems over the last week or so, the update is I think she might have initially caught favus - has anyone out there treated a bird for this, its the closes skin complaint, or should I say fungus that I can find when looking over chicken sites - I think I need added ventilation in the roof of the hen house, ie some sort of vent that can be closed down in the winter, but open in the summer!  Still does not solve my problem with Suzy, the old maran girl.  I have not given her a full bath as she has been poorly with an infection, which the vet said she would likely get as a secondary to the initial problem so she is back to eating slightly today after antibiotics since friday night - most sites say its a culling disease but am sincerely hoping to come up with something even if she has to have ongoing treatment....  I have put vaseline around her vent area and on top of her head to contain the fungus but am looking for more help :wacko:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:00 by happychickens »

poultrygeist

Re: favus?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 13:35 »
I'm guessing you've seen http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/59/favus recommending formalin (hence the vaseline?) ?

They say chronic cases can develop nodules in the windpipe which would unpleasant for the bird.

have you isolated infected from non-infected and protected yourself when handling ?

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. :)

Rob 8)

happychickens

Re: favus?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:57 »
I have not isolated her, the others perch at present and she does not, am not wearing gloves when handling her but am washing and using barrier cream on hands and cover for clothes - she was perky yesterday, but, gone back over today, am giving her baytril for the infection, but, as it is far to difficult to put vaseline up her back so am doing it around her vent area is there anything else to try?  I presume it is this fungus as am not taking her to the vets unless I have to as her stress levels are high enough when I pick her up :(

poultrygeist

Re: favus? Skin Fungus?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 13:06 »
i think it's something that can only be diagnosed by dveloping a culture but from the little bit I read, it shows as hexagonal shaped skin lesions/growths which I would imagine would be irritating and maybe painful.
I think a vet is the only person who could diagnose and offer treatment. It may well be something far less extreme and more easily treated.

I think you should consult a vet on this one if she's in discomfort with it. :(

Rob 8)

happychickens

Re: favus? Skin Fungus?
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:03 »
Yes think you are right,  although she is having antibiotic she is not getting any better :(

xx
Favus..possibly,advise please

Started by joolz68 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 09, 2013, 21:22
by joolz68
xx
Treatment for Favus (fungal infection of chickens combs)

Started by hillfooter on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 12:25
by hillfooter
xx
fungus

Started by buttony22 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 19:04
by buttony22
xx
Red skin

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 07:45
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 37 queries.