B&Q !! Its a shame!!

• 17 Replies

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« on: April 25, 2008, 13:30 »
I have just got back from my local B&Q where they are selling quite alot of vegetable plants cabbages lettuces ,peas,beans tomatoes etc in small modules. Most of them are dying due to lack of water. Its such a shame to see huge amounts of these plants just left there to die! This is a good example of our throw away society! Time and money has been spend rearing these plants for them to end up withered !!!

Ok I have had my moan !!

Jazzbyrd
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

dereklane

• Experienced Member
B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 13:58 »
yes - you want to say 'I'll take these off your hands and see if I can coax them back from the brink, but i wouldn't pay for them'.

I'd take free dying plants (maybe), but I wouldn't pay for them.

muddywellies

• Experienced Member
B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 13:59 »
I've seen that happen to racks and racks of flowery things in B&Q too. It is very sad - how can the staff bear to walk past needlessly dying plants without giving them a drop of water  :cry:

Ruby Red

B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 14:14 »
Why dont you point it out to them. Tell them, they might not have noticed or they nay have been too busy. I used to go in and tell the local petshop that the animals in the window hadnt any food/water etc.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 14:36 »
Yep Ruby thats a good point!!

Jazzbyrd

Trillium

B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 14:58 »
I usually got ' It's not my department'.
So whose department is it? I'd ask.

Mostly the staff simply don't care, not when they're getting almost minimum wage at many of these stores. They're definitely not gardeners so why would they care? Sad.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Re: B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 15:16 »
Quote from: "jazzbyrd"
I have just got back from my local B&Q where they are selling quite alot of vegetable plants cabbages lettuces ,peas,beans tomatoes etc in small modules. Most of them are dying due to lack of water. Its such a shame to see huge amounts of these plants just left there to die! This is a good example of our throw away society! Time and money has been spend rearing these plants for them to end up withered !!!

Ok I have had my moan !!

Jazzbyrd

Exactly the same in the one in Nottingham, they looked frost damaged and dying from lack of water, and they are still charging way over the odds for them

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

Dominic

B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 15:50 »
They dont water drill bits or the mdf, all the same to them.

Most of the staff are as someone said minimum wagers who dont care, and the management are retailers more used to selling clothes.

Maybe someone up the chain will realise that 90% wastage is not acceptable and is easily avoidable and will do something, probably not.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Clampit

B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 18:57 »
You should see the amount of plants that nurseries have to throw away, because B&Q who have ordered them can cancel their orders with no notice. Ooooooooo, it makes me wild.

purplebean

B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 21:32 »
I object to the comment that the staff don't care. My husband worked on gardening at B&Q (a load of poo as it is know in our house) for 7.5 years. He did everything he could to try to water plants but was always being taken away by managers to do something else. Often he worked for 6 or 7 hours without a break, he was always being called all over the store and ended up hardly ever working on gardening even though that was supposed to be his job. He was always being told he had to do his training (computer based) but whenever he tried he would get called back to the shop floor to deal with a problem and then he would be criticised for not doing his training.  The weekend he handed his notice in one of the mangers almost killed him with the forklift truck. He injured his back because he was having to move stock by himself and then because he was off sick for a few weeks he ended up getting disciplined!! He was threatened by customers on a number of occasions, including having stock thrown at him.

There is so much more that I could post but please don't blame the staff and say that they don't care because many of them do care and are struggling with a company that truly doesn't give a sh*t.

neil1967

B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 23:46 »
I imagine that as B&Q  would be charged by the litre for water used that it's more a case that staff are not encouraged to water the plants and not that the staff don't care.
The more water used the less profit they make in their minds but if they reduced the price and looked after the plants a lot better i think they'd sell far more.

Neil

Oliveview

B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 13:37 »
I´ve always thought B & Q would be an interesting shop to work in- maybe not!
I used to work in a chemist shop- why do customers who are ill insist on coming into the shop and giving the staff their germs????? They should be made to stand outside and shout through the letterbox!!

millie C

B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 13:52 »
exactly the same in my local B & Q too - probably dead and dying plants across the whole chain. Only small consellation is that they were all in biodegradable paper conatiners....maybe thats why they dried out so badly...but at least they wont be dumping all that plastic without recyling. However, on a more cheerful note, I managed to get some healthy organic spring onions and broad beans with 25% off from the few they hadn't murdered!

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 21:49 »
yeaaaaaaaa!!!!! millie well done  :wink:
jazzbyrd

hickorychickory

B&Q !! Its a shame!!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 23:40 »
Also went to B&Q today, OMG every plant looked sad or dead.  I would rather go to the smaller nurseries, and have a proper conversation with staff who know what they are on about and are passionate about what they do and the information they are giving people.  B&Q  gardening section is for people who have no clue and just want the front of there house to look pretty, ( may sound cruel but thats how I feel).  The major thing really what is all about is the sound of the tills going Kerching for the mighty pound £££.

How Sad :(  :(  :(

Ally

xx
Its A shame

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 27, 2008, 07:52
by jennyb
xx
Oh the shame! (shop-bought chillies and peppers)

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 10:08
by Steve_LF

Page created in 1.483 seconds with 28 queries.