are these all weeds?

• 21 Replies

Bear

are these all weeds?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 09:51 »
Guys - don't want to hijack the thread but can anyone tell what the plant is that is sprouting up in the OPs pic 5?

It's coming up in about 5 places around the main rose.

I've got loads of it in my new garden.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
are these all weeds?
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 10:14 »
Quote from: "Bear"
Guys - don't want to hijack the thread but can anyone tell what the plant is that is sprouting up in the OPs pic 5?

That is mare's/horse's tail & is a s*d to get rid of! Roots go down for yards! (Metres in new money).

Some people have results with glyphosate - crush the stem first & then apply with a rubber gloved hand is one tip.

I've got that much if I did that I'd never get anything else done. I just chop it off with a hoe as it appears.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Bear

are these all weeds?
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 10:28 »
Is that Marestails as well? I can place the long stripey shoot (bit like asparagus in the middle of the pic - that's recognisable) but the little bunches of green leaves (with a reddish tinge) around the sides - is that it too?

dereklane

• Experienced Member
are these all weeds?
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 10:40 »
I don't think so - when it gets up it tends to have needle-like leaves (like on a pine) that radiate out from the central stem. It can get quite bushy if you leave it.

sanuka

are these all weeds?
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 11:06 »
If I try the glyphosate on the horsetail around the rose will the rose survive? I think I had it coming up where i planted potatoes too :(

I don't know what the little bunches are but could it be the same as pic 2 (speedwell)? that also has red tinged bits.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
are these all weeds?
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 11:10 »
Quote from: "sanuka"
If I try the glyphosate on the horsetail around the rose will the rose survive? I think I had it coming up where i planted potatoes too :(

I don't know what the little bunches are but could it be the same as pic 2 (speedwell)? that also has red tinged bits.

If you only apply it to the mare's tail, no problem.

Pic 7 I believe is a wild geranium (think this has been touched on) - a weed in these circumstances!

Wild Geranium

gobs

are these all weeds?
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 20:34 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "Bear"

That is mare's/horse's tail & is a s*d to get rid of! Roots go down for yards! (Metres in new money).

Some people have results with glyphosate - crush the stem first & then apply with a rubber gloved hand is one tip.

I've got that much if I did that I'd never get anything else done. I just chop it off with a hoe as it appears.

I think we are asked about the tiny little green leaves which you can just about make out, I don't know.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
getting rid of weeds

Started by halogirl5 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 05:59
by harrymac
xx
weeds

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 18:21
by peapod

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 30 queries.