Cucumber flowers

• 17 Replies

cudders

• Experienced Member
Cucumber flowers
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:55 »
Hi chaps,

Sowed my cucumbers a tad early and one now has yellow flowers. Should these be removed or not? They are Telegraph Improved and the pack says to remove male flowers. Are these male and how can you tell?

Thanks,

Cudders

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Cucumber flowers
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:08 »
Hi Cudders!  The male flower only has a really skinny little green stem behind it, whereas the female has a little lump which grows into your cucumber!  once you see them both together, it will become clear!  

I was worried the first time I grew a cucumber, bit once oyou've seen the difference between the 2 your away!!!!!   Also, I think you mayget quite a few male flowers first, then the females!!

cudders

• Experienced Member
Cucumber flowers
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 10:15 »
Right ok,

I'll have a look when I get home and take a few pics.

Thanks

Cudders

cudders

• Experienced Member
Cucumber flowers
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 20:02 »
Pic as discussed.

Is this a cucumber?  

Not too clear this but you can see some flowers brewing. Most have a short stub but some seem to have a small cucumber type stick atr the back. Sorry but not grow cucumbers before so apologie if this is obvious!

Trillium

Cucumber flowers
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 20:16 »
The top pic is a female plant, the middle pic is hard to see the flower connection but it looks male. Can't tell with the bottom pix at all. Think you started them a bit early  :wink:

cudders

• Experienced Member
Cucumber flowers
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 21:59 »
Yeh you could say that!.

They were ok but in the last week all seem to have doubled in size. Gonna put them all in big pots and pop in the in the conservatory. I'll heat this to keep em snug.

I gather the male flowers should be removed then?

Ta,

Cudders

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Cucumber flowers
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 22:30 »
The bottom picture is a female flower too. They look great - I havent even got round to sowing any yet!! My tomatoes are still taking over the window sills!

Trillium

Cucumber flowers
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 03:28 »
Personally I'd compost the male plants. You need pollination only if you're saving seeds or hybridizing.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Cucumber flowers
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 08:00 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Personally I'd compost the male plants. You need pollination only if you're saving seeds or hybridizing.

We're not talking plant gender here, Trill,  (notice I avoid using the word 'sex' - DOH!), it's the gender of the flowers that appear on the same plant.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Trillium

Cucumber flowers
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 13:46 »
Well, we must get different kinds of plants here DD because I once somehow got a pkt of all male seeds. When planted, there wasn't a single female flower among the lot, just a bunch of duds. To say I was unimpressed was an understatement.  :wink:

Bear

Cucumber flowers
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 14:20 »
I wonder if it's something to do with conditions - produce more male or female flowers depending on conditions.

I had 2 plants last year, same packet of seeds. 1 produced 70/30 female/male flowers. The other one was about 80% male flowers until the first plant had about finished for the year - then the second produced heaps of females.

Trillium

Cucumber flowers
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 19:23 »
With the huge changes in weather the past decade, anything's possible. I'll keep my scissors handy.

gobs

Cucumber flowers
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 20:30 »
Quote from: "Bear"
I wonder if it's something to do with conditions - produce more male or female flowers depending on conditions.

I had 2 plants last year, same packet of seeds. 1 produced 70/30 female/male flowers. The other one was about 80% male flowers until the first plant had about finished for the year - then the second produced heaps of females.

According to T&M, yes. The all females they say will produce some males flowers under stress.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

vegmandan

Cucumber flowers
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 23:50 »
If I hand pollinate a male flower with another male flower will I get a bent cucumber ? :lol:  :lol:

Sorry.... :shock:

Trillium

Cucumber flowers
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 04:44 »
:roll:  I have long scissors Vegmandan  :wink:

xx
cucumber flowers

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2013, 00:10
by compostqueen
xx
Cucumber flowers

Started by themoog on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2010, 16:23
by themoog
xx
Help with male cucumber flowers

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:35
by DD.
xx
Male cucumber flowers.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 09:45
by A Reyt Tayty

Page created in 0.771 seconds with 37 queries.