Cheap Shed?

• 43 Replies

Lee1978

Cheap Shed?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2008, 17:59 »
I was in Focus over the weekend and noticed their 6x4 shed's for around the £130 mark, the 8x6 was £220, both tongue and groove. They seemed good quality for the price, a lot better than the feather board rubbish they sell elsewhere. :)

supernome

Cheap Shed?
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2008, 21:34 »
Thanks for the advice about the sheds. I have actually found a metal one in Argos. 6x4 and at £100 quid in the sale, it's my best bet. It does look a bit like an air raid shelter though!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
Cheap Shed?
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2008, 11:40 »
if you want to set about making your own out of pallets or salvaged wood try having a drive around the industrial estates, i'm in manchester near trafford park and you'd be amazed how many pallets and sheets of wood are just thrown about unwanted - you may need a car/trailer combo to collect them though thats the only trouble.

i've got a thread in design/ construction that shows the progress i've made so far with mine and the pallets and stuff i've used, its a pretty big shed and to be honest i've spent a few quid on it but thats cos i want it to be bullet proof and its at home so needs to look good lol

still  . . . .  far far cheaper than anything i could look at buying ready made from a 'shop'   . . . . . .  :wink:

dereklane

• Experienced Member
Cheap Shed?
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2008, 15:36 »
Hey DaveinManc - I work in Old Trafford. I remember chatting with an old bloke about allotments last year as I was coming out of B&Q  (I had some chook pellets). I wonder if he's on your allotment? (white hair, looked like father Christmas).

There's certainly a lot of stuff around here. I walk past skips here and wish I could get it home, but I catch bus/train so not practical. Still, there's plenty chucked out in Buxton for me:)

cheers,

Derek

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Cheap Shed?
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 22:57 »
Can I ask is there an easy way to take pallets apart for the wood?  I did try it once with a crowbar but it took along time and I split a lot of it.  Or would I be better off just keeping them in one piece.

I've liked the photos of the sheds you've built by the way, very inspiring.
Teen

dereklane

• Experienced Member
Cheap Shed?
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 09:17 »
If you can find solid pallets there is no need, but otherwise it helps if they're really wet. Then you get a pinch bar and a big hammer, and drive the blade in uder one side of a join, lever it a bit, then in the other side of the same join, lever it a bit, then work down to the next one and do the same, then back up again and lever a bit more, and so on.

Not easy, but a little at a time rather than trying to pull the whole thing off at once seems to work.

cheers,

Derek

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Cheap Shed?
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 17:19 »
Now I never thought to try it wet.  Maybe I'll have another go sometime.

Thanks Derek

EarthyJim

Cheap Shed?
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 14:40 »
Brilliant thread - great pics.

Am currently building a shed from pallets. I've been sawing the bolts out with a hacksaw. Quite gruelling work but if you get 6 mates all working at it you can get quite a lot of timber quite quickly. Also the double size pallets (approx 240/120 cm) are better as you get more wood per number of bolts you have to saw through!

Still have no idea how to build doors / window frames mind, but reassuring to see from the photos that these things always seem to work out fine in the end...!

Fire2920

Cheap Shed?
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2008, 16:45 »
A load of pallets mate even reused the nails i pulled out

:lol:

??? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous... ???

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Cheap Shed?
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 17:02 »
That's a gorgoues shed, I wish I had a Fire2920 around the place... :wink:

dereklane

• Experienced Member
Cheap Shed?
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2008, 20:18 »
Well fire2920, this is probably sour grapes, but I like to think there's such a thing as doing *too* good a job... :)

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Cheap Shed?
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2008, 22:02 »
Quote from: "Fire2920"
A load of pallets mate even reused the nails i pulled out

:lol:

Now that's impressive  8)
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Teabag

Cheap Shed?
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 18:03 »
Try your local free ads paper.i have got one from my local one in the free to collector section

cozzcov

Cheap Shed?
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2008, 23:12 »
That shed looks better than any you could buy Fire2920.  

I don't have a shed as I only have a little veggie patch in my small back garden.  But if i were to have a shed I'd like to make one like the one in the photo competition thread posted by Aunt Sally.  (Not the house in Madeira).  Looks like it would be quite easy to knock together out of reclaimed wood n stuff

xx
Cheap ?

Started by woodentop on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 20:03
by woodentop
xx
I'm so cheap...

Started by leeky on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 04:46
by leeky
xx
Going cheap....

Started by snowdrops on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2016, 19:56
by snowdrops
xx
cheap cheap

Started by flowergirl on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 19:11
by flowergirl

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 28 queries.