About to start...

• 16 Replies

Nevthedigger

About to start...
« on: April 07, 2008, 21:19 »
I WAS going to be digging my back garden over the winter and getting something planted in spring, but things being as they were I ended up doing loads of work in the house and not getting the chance. Anyway, I have decided that now is the time I can spare myself, and need to get going. My plan is this... sheet over the whole plot with black plastic, and put seedlings in through slits in the sheets. Ridding the ground of weeds was the main objective, but I thought that at the same time I might as well grow a few things through the sheets while they are doing their job. I don't intend at this stage in getting a full garden, but I want to inspire myself by reaping something later in the year. It's an uneducated plan, something I dreamed up myself a couple of days ago. I hope to keep all chemicals and synthetics off the site. Anything I should throw all over the plot before the sheeting goes down, for nutrients? Is it a bad idea? Will the plastic sheeting attract slugs and other slimy things? Will root veg grow just as well if the ground hasn't been dug? What's the capital of Bolivia?
Yours in ignorance  ...  Nev  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
About to start...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 21:24 »
Sucre - Judicial
La Paz - Administrative

One of the few countries with two capitals.

Never having tried it, I hope someone else can answer you other questions!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

About to start...
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 21:51 »
I've done this with well rotted manure as a thick mulch, worked well, can recommend. Not all crops will work out and not all weeds will perish, but earns you time, whilst still growing something.

You can do the fabric, but yes, it does develop some slug problem.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

compostqueen

About to start...
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 22:19 »
That proper sheet mulch is rough and I've not had problems with slugs under it. Mice love it though, and shrews.  Keeps em toasty  :roll:   Good stuff though and it does get rid of weeds if you leave it down long enough. heavy duty stuff aint cheap, Look for a good brand, eg Tenax, Phormisol

Nevthedigger

About to start...
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 22:37 »
Thanks... the feedback I am getting is what I was hoping for, ie no negative comments!  :wink:  The plastic will be going down on wednesday morning, and then it will be a trip to the garden centre (*) for some seedlings to get things moving. HAPPY TO BE GETTING THINGS GOING AT LAST!

(*) - Ok, some might sniff at this idea, but I just want to get things off to a flying start... when the plot is established (when the plastic goes in the bin) I will be checking out those seed suppliers.

Looking forward to some veggie growth in the summer.... don't know about you, but I love sitting in the garden in summer, after dark, after a rain shower, with a beer smelling the lush growth. Pure magic!

gobs

About to start...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 22:40 »
Quote from: "DD."
Sucre - Judicial
La Paz - Administrative

One of the few countries with two capitals.

Never having tried it, I hope someone else can answer you other questions!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

matron

About to start...
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 22:53 »
I have a dvd called 'the allotment' which was a tv series and they do exactly that on there. I think they put down the manure mulch, covered it with black plastic and planted through holes. Good luck.

Nevthedigger

About to start...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 23:13 »
So its two new spark plugs for the old Land Rover, a trip to the local horse farm for a big bucket o' best, and a stinky ride back home then... a great way to start me birthday!  :wink:  :D

littlelisa

• Experienced Member
    • Relentless Abundance
About to start...
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 23:57 »

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
About to start...
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 04:33 »
and this

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/

i often refer to this when im looking to grow a particular veg.also buy dr hessayons veg and herb guide.and read every inch of this site and forum u cant go wrong :wink:

Nevthedigger

About to start...
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 16:33 »
Great, thanks, interesting sites now saved into my favourites...  :D

Nevthedigger

About to start...
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008, 20:36 »
Right, today was the day... D - Day (Do it Day). The rubbish in the old garden was piled to one side in readiness...

Getting down to it....

The results so far...

Then it was a trip here....

For a car full of these...

I have decided against putting the seedlings in through slits in the polyethylene, and instead will be putting them into containers and arranging them aesthetically across the plot.
It's now evening so I have decided that since it's my birthday today I am going to wash one of these down my neck, and sit looking at some of my new seeds. I might even bob along to another garden centre tomorrow and treat myself to a slug knife...
 :wink:  

gobs

About to start...
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008, 20:48 »
Happy birthday!

But the soil won't get better whilst you container growing. :wink:

woodburner

About to start...
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2008, 22:13 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Happy birthday!

But the soil won't get better whilst you container growing. :wink:

It will if he puts manure underneath the plastic. ;)

I'm trying a different method this time, (having had to leave my plastic and carpets behind). I'm using cardboard with a layer of well rotted manure over it, planting spuds into the manure and 'earthing up' with straw. When the time comes adding a top layer of grass cuttings to exclude light. According to the books this method is less encouraging of slugs than using plastic.  :)

Oh and Happy Birthday!  :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

peapod

• Pea Goddess
About to start...
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2008, 22:41 »
saw the well rotted manure idea to keep the weeds off

I can get manure just not too well rotted , so can I do the same thing if my (hoped for soon) lotty is in a bit of a state? Theres no rush to put too many vegibles (as my son says) if the weeds are too much, I also grow in containers
 Good pics nev, and good luck!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Where do I start

Started by joyboy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 03, 2009, 22:31
by SalJ1980
xx
Where to start?

Started by AK9 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post February 18, 2014, 12:30
by AK9
question
Where to start?

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 02, 2012, 23:42
by BabbyAnn
xx
what to start now

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 21, 2010, 10:15
by DD.

Page created in 0.514 seconds with 29 queries.