outdoor cucumber

• 26 Replies

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
outdoor cucumber
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 09:09 »
there is a new mini cucumber for out doors called Greenfingers F1 which is supposedly excellent flavoured and has both male and female flowers
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

compostqueen

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 09:14 »
home grown cues, either outdoor or indoor grown, taste better than the forced stuff from the supermarkets. I have had some good crunchy organic supermarket ones though.  

I grew a mini, Petita, indoor one last year and it was prolific and really good and crunchy. The outdoor ones are very good too. Folks on our lotties enjoyed those Crystal Apples  :D

mumof4

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 09:29 »
So i'm going to try to grow some of these have you offer any advice on how to grow them. I likw the idea od making use of hight but wonder is it better to let them ramble along the ground so i could cover the plant with fleece.

Sorry about all the questions

Ann

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2008, 11:42 »
Quote from: "mumof4"

I have in the past felt like cucumber doesn't really have a taste but then i've only bought them from Tesco

The marketmore had a good taste to them and when I had to take the plants out in October the remaining cucumbers kept well in the fridge.

We found that the crystal apple didn't have much of a taste to them and decided to stick with marketmore.

Ann

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2008, 11:47 »
Quote from: "mumof4"
So i'm going to try to grow some of these have you offer any advice on how to grow them. I likw the idea od making use of hight but wonder is it better to let them ramble along the ground so i could cover the plant with fleece.

Sorry about all the questions

We haven't got much space for growing so I grew mine up canes last year and will be doing the same this year they reached approx 5ft in height and each plant had approx 1sq foot of ground.

mumof4

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2008, 12:12 »
Quote from: "Ann"

We haven't got much space for growing so I grew mine up canes last year and will be doing the same this year they reached approx 5ft in height and each plant had approx 1sq foot of ground.

I wonder if i could put a plant at each end of my french bean canes. I normally grow the FB up and over a path to save space.

gobs

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2008, 13:03 »
Might make it hard to find the beans? :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Trillium

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2008, 16:10 »
Not only hard to find the beans but the cuke leaves and tendrils would smother the bean plants and you'd have next to no crop. Best to keep them separate.  I've grown mine up a narrow trellis - 2 stakes about 1-2ft apart and whatever height I had, then stapled on netting for the cukes to climb.

iwantanallotment

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2008, 16:47 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
2 stakes about 1-2ft apart and whatever height I had, then stapled on netting for the cukes to climb.

That's a fab idea Trillium, think even I can do that - thanks very much  :)

mumof4

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2008, 17:19 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Not only hard to find the beans but the cuke leaves and tendrils would smother the bean plants and you'd have next to no crop. Best to keep them separate.  I've grown mine up a narrow trellis - 2 stakes about 1-2ft apart and whatever height I had, then stapled on netting for the cukes to climb.

Agreed - I too can do that

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
cucumbers
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 22:45 »
I've sown telegraph improved from b&q awaiting germination in mini greenhouse, these ok?

gobs

outdoor cucumber
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 23:01 »
A bit early in my book, good luck with space. :wink:

xx
Outdoor Cucumber

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 25, 2010, 05:52
by paintedlady
xx
Outdoor cucumber

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 23:18
by bonfire
xx
Outdoor cucumber

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2022, 16:32
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Outdoor cucumber - market more

Started by sathya on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:10
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 36 queries.