manure and potatos

• 6 Replies

Gareth

manure and potatos
« on: November 24, 2006, 14:28 »
Hi, I have just dug my garden over because my five year old wants to know how potatos and carrots grow. I am new to gardening and need some help. I have been reading up but I am getting confused!!!!!!  Can I dig in fresh horse manure with straw, or will it cause problems growing root veg on this bed. also I have been told that the developers covered my garden with "recycled topsoil". It looks like heavy soil to me, is it ok for growing veg???

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
manure and potatos
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 14:34 »
well I've just dug loads of manure into my plot and I intend to grow spuds in it next year... but hey what would I know? Seriously I know nothing about gardening.. hence 90% of my stuff last year was rubbish.. :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
manure and potatos
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 15:41 »
Hi Gareth, I think your potatoes will be fine next year if you dig in the fresh manure now as it will have all winter to mature, but don't try planting any root veg like carrots and parsnips in any manured ground.  There is a section in the info pages about crop rotation.  It is very good and will help you.

Good luck and welcome to the site

Gareth

manure and potatos
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 15:44 »
Thanks for the info, as I have no compost yet, can anyone suggest what I can add to enrich and break up the soil which will be suitble for root veg?

shaun

manure and potatos
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 16:50 »
depending on the soil type
if its a bit clay like then manure and a course sand i call it washed sand should be dug in and turned over and left to over winter. try and wait for it to dry up a bit because it gets very hard work when its wet and messy.looking at the forecast theres no end to the rain up here.
if you get some cow or horse manure now  leave it open to the elements and put that in your spud trench when you plant them.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

milkman

manure and potatos
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 16:58 »
Go out hunter gathering with your five year old and gather up as many autumn leaves you can find!  Leave them in black plastic bin bags or create a leaf mould bin - won't be ready for spring next year but you will have some fantastic leaf mould for the following year for putting on ground to grow parsnips and carrots in.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

muntjac

manure and potatos
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 21:05 »
dig loads leaves in  your trenches as you dig that will help for the short term and they will compost down in the soil  :wink:
still alive /............

xx
potatos

Started by mollymuggles on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2016, 11:37
by DD.
xx
Potatos

Started by chicken soup on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 20:48
by iwantanallotment
xx
potatos

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 15:11
by harry
xx
potatos

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 17:29
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.403 seconds with 30 queries.