Confused with Tomato feeding!!!

• 11 Replies

Hazel Anne

« on: April 06, 2008, 09:45 »
I wonder if i could have some advise as i have never grown Tomatoes before.
What do i feed them?
My neighbour said he used a Tomato food last year.over fed them and they tasted of the feed!!
I have looked around and nothing says its Organic feed,i dont understand the label on the ingredients either.
At my local store i saw spray feed but that had no ingredients label and looked suspect!!!

Are the popular ones on the shelves just natural feed?
I am giving the ring culture method a go for the Tomatoes and will try some other bits to grow that way too and see what happens.

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:49 »
it may have been the taste of seaweed  :?   The branded tomato feeds are specially mixed for growings toms so I don't think you could go wrong with them. If you're organic you could use liquid seaweed

The full instructions are on the packaging, and if you follow them, you'll get good results. You don't start feeding until you see the first truss, and if you limit the number of trusses on the plant, you should get some good fruits

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 09:51 »
You could also use a comfrey feed, if you're worried about what miht be in ready made products  :D

Hazel Anne

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 10:08 »
Thanks for the info.
I have read in a book they need feeding once a week from the top as they get the water from the root that goes down into the substrate.
Maybe my neighbour over fed his and didnt stick to the instructions.

We all have our wellies lined up here for a day in the garden.The kids were gowing to sew the Radish/Sring onion and Lettuce.But we now have heavy snow coming down.
Bit of a panic as we have a new little greenhouse and yesterday took all the seedlings out from indoors.Its got so cold.We found a little heater in the loft which has just been rigged up in there.
The kids wanted to put the Chiminea in there and sit round that!!!

dugless

tomato feed
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 13:04 »
I have a book called THE GOOD GARDENERS ENCYCLOPEDIA 1964
In it I found a tomato feed you mix your self  have used it for years
 but now find it difficult to get the right ingredients due to super markets,  modern garden centres and Wilkoes killing off the old gardening stores.
 Hope to find isome through the forums.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 13:33 »
oh yeah comfrey!  Lovely stuff.  I distil mine is a fangled pipe which I had great fun making  :D   Stinks like hell though, that's the only drawback  :D

Ooooh that sounds fascinatin, home made tomato brew. So what's in it then and what ingredients are you short of? Do tell  :D

dugless

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 14:43 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
oh yeah comfrey!  Lovely stuff.  I distil mine is a fangled pipe which I had great fun making  :D   Stinks like hell though, that's the only drawback  :D

Ooooh that sounds fascinatin, home made tomato brew. So what's in it then and what ingredients are you short of? Do tell  :D

As requested the tomato feed --- 1 level teespoon full once every 7-10 days. in the top of ring culture watered in. I use a 2 pint measure
Mix by weight 1-Part Sulphate of Ammonia 2-Parts Dried Blood 3-Parts Super phosphate 1-Part steamed bone flower 2-Parts Sulphate of Potash 1-Part sulphate of Magnesium

Diggerpete

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 15:28 »
That's a hell of a mix. Is it easy to come by?

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 16:42 »
While my seedlings are in the house, they get a watered down feeding every 2 weeks of a general purpose fertilizer mix. Once outside they go into a well prepped hole mixed with bonemeal, manure and mycrocozi powder (which encourages rooting). Later in the season they'll get manure tea and or kelp tea. I buy kelp powder from an heirloom seed company. I'm quite happy with the resulting fruit which all have distinct flavours.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
confused with tomato feeding
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 21:57 »
Is strained comfrey brew feeding the only organic tom feed then? That or seaweed? The others seem to contain a lot of chemicals that the original author (my apologies but your name escapes me) of this thread pointed out. Basically we're excluding chemical pesticides etc?  :?

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 22:00 »
both are good organic products.  I like making comfrey tea cos it's easy and cheap.  i do buy seaweed liquid and mix that up to feed my veggies.  I just prefer the natural stuff for the veg. Don't mind the lurid green or blue stuff on the flowers but not on the food, though I'm sure it does a good job.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
confused with tomato feeding
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 22:30 »
So I grow comfrey and make a brew with it like you would normal tea, yeah?  :D, Right, I'm looking to buy leek and sprout seeds so I'll look out for comfrey seeds whilst I'm about, thankyou!  :D

xx
Feeding and Pinching out, Confused

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 09:38
by gobs
xx
Confused about tomato

Started by cbu183 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 07, 2008, 13:21
by gobs
xx
Confused as to when Tomato plants can go out...

Started by OakR on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 25, 2020, 18:36
by AnneB
xx
Tomato Feeding

Started by Mudge on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 14:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 36 queries.