Sharing

• 6 Replies

iwantanallotment

Sharing
« on: April 05, 2008, 13:47 »
One of the best parts of growing has to be sharing, doesn't it?
After years of greedily accepting bags of lovely this'n'that homegrown veg from my parents, I dodged the hail showers today to dash up the garden and cut them a couple of nice spring cabbages for their dinner tomorrow.
First time I've ever been able to repay the favour, and it's nice  :D
Hopefully the first of lots.

Foxy

Sharing
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 13:57 »
we grew sweetcorn for the first time last year - we shared it with our neighnours in return for corgettes  and tomatoes- our family at barbecues a lovely feeling specially as last year waas the first time we grew our own vegetables. :D

matron

Sharing
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 14:04 »
I never go to my Dad's empty handed even if it is only half a dozen eggs from the chucks. There are bags of veg flying around the village to the older residents in the summer and autumn when the plot is in full production. I love to give things away so I have to try and grow more than we need. Looking at the rhubarb I think that will be our first crop in a couple of weeks this year. :)

Frog

• Experienced Member
Sharing
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 14:10 »
We shared tomatoes, courgettes, potatoes, runner beans, blackberries, raspberries and blackcurrants last year with family and friends!  :D
Have been told though that this year, I need to work out how to store, freeze, or pickle all of our produce - reason being, my youngest son starts school  :(  and I have the choice of either getting a job, or working down on the allotment/in the kitchen!!
Froze some courgettes last year - when defrosting them, they turned to mush. Anyone got any expert ideas on how to solve this?

charley1980

Sharing
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 16:33 »
I chargrilled dourgettes,let them cool and then froze them and they can then be cooked from froaen, added to soups or sauces or stir-fried. Worked well!

Gwiz

Sharing
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 16:39 »
You're not wrong!
one of my nieghbours is a very good sea fisherman, he brings us sea bass and rock salmon, and in return he gets lots of marrows, potatoes and what ever is going at the time.
My sister also gets a helping hand with her shopping as she is a poorly paid care worker. It does feel good being able to help out. :D

poultrygeist

Sharing
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 17:53 »
It seems that, as we move away slowly from the supermarket era, and back to the self-sufficient one, the spirit of community and caring about each other is coming back too.  :)

I feel all warm inside. Could be the coleslaw repeating.  :?

Rob

xx
Sharing the harvest

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 11, 2021, 12:45
by Goosegirl
xx
sharing the greenhouse

Started by EVIE on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 21:34
by fletch
xx
Garden sharing

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 01:28
by Aitch
xx
Sharing mistakes and triumphs growing veg

Started by Milly on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 12:28
by purplebean

Page created in 0.416 seconds with 36 queries.