Sharing mistakes and triumphs growing veg

• 17 Replies

Milly

• Experienced Member
« on: April 28, 2008, 19:23 »
There is a saying that we learn form our mistakes  :( , maybe it would be better to learn from each other  :D . Would you mind sharing any mistakes you have made growing veg and also share your triumphs and why you succeeded -

My worst mistake was planting everything together so I had a glut of veg ready at once.

My triumphs are with tomatoes, grown outside in pots and not in growbags. I can only attribute this to steady watering so they don't swell and split. This year I am going to try planting a pop bottle upside down with the bottom cut off so I can water straight to the roots (read it on this site). Will let you know if it works  :lol:

Clampit

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 19:49 »
I made the mistake of planting things too close together which made it an absolute nightmare to keep the weeds down.

millie C

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 20:02 »
I made the mistake of filling my raised bed with only bags of compost and not compacting it, so the plants didn't bed in very well, and the drainage wasn't that good. I had to make a new raised bed this year (long story involving my husband and some rat poison....the mind boggles!) and this time I've done about half and half topsoil and compost and I compacted it down a little, so lets hope it all works out better this year. I will let you all know, but I planted spinach and radish last weekend and they're up already - I get so excited when the first shoots show through!

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 20:13 »
Well I learnt something already, I planted deep planters with compost, hope I have compacted it down enough. Have another to fill so will make sure this is compacted. Thanks Millie.

sclarke624

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 21:17 »
I learnt don't fill the 9ft by 4ft raised bed with vine tomatoes.  Ended up like a jungle somthering everything else and as last year was the first year grew far too many of them.  Didn't get loads of toms though but think it was a bad year last year for tomsor maybe just me.

sheila
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 03:25 »
A lot of years ago when I was a beginner, I mulched my tom plants with sawdust thinking I was doing something great. Never saw such stunted plants in all my life  :lol:
Before you become a good gardener, you have to be able to write the 'what not to do' book first.  :wink:

millie C

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 08:47 »
Hey Milly - don't necessarily take my word for it - I am a complete novice really, and I would have thought that compost in contaners should be ok - just didn't seem to work in my 10 x 3 ft bed, and of course it depends what you are growing - spinace, lettuce, radish did well, but onions were rubbish, but I may have planted them at the wrong time of year - I wasn't lucky enough to have found this site then for advice!  :?

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 10:17 »
forgetting to cover brassica plants before leaving the plot. Doh
Planting sweetpeas and mange tout peas together on the same support - er which is which. Both had bluey purple flowers  :D   I did that one about leaving too little space for weeding between plants. Did it with celeriac and onions.  Mind you they'd probably be fine without weeding

I planted my rhubarb in an out of the way place, sort of under the lotty hedge and it died.  I thought you couldn't kill a rhubarb  :roll:

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 10:49 »
Last year I put my potatoes and tomatoes close together on the patio without realising they suffer from the same blight - lost the lot   :(  But the tomatoes inside in my conservatory were a success, so I was happy to get something... :)

woodburner

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:26 »
My first lottie I had to leave it for a month. I was really pleased with myslef for getting so much cleared and sown but in that month I was away it didn't rain :!:  :!:  :!:  very little came up at all and half of what did bolted, plus the weeds loved the warm weather.
Moral of this tale: If you have to go away don't bother sowing stuff, just cover any bare ground with black plastic or cardboard.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 12:53 »
Ive just learnt not to put weed and feed on your lawn and then use the same area for cutting up seaweed with a lawnmower then placing the mulch on my broccoli plants.

What a divvy... :roll:
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

mrsbaggins

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 13:01 »
I will learn to label seeds I sow indoors. I truly thought I would remember which was which! also label the rows of seeds I sow! Is it a radish? is it spinach? no one knows!

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 16:29 »
Great answers, lots of the above I proably would have done but wont do now. In answer to Millie I put carrots in the planter, intend to not make the mistake of other years and am sowing carrots and beetroot over a stagered period. :D

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2008, 18:45 »
My latest mistake?

Assuming that the pigeons on my site will be a different breed from all the others, and so will not be interested in my newly-transplanted peas  :evil:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Clampit

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2008, 19:14 »
Quote from: "mrsbaggins"
I will learn to label seeds I sow indoors. I truly thought I would remember which was which! also label the rows of seeds I sow! Is it a radish? is it spinach? no one knows!

:oops: I've done the very same thing this year with all my brassica's, looks like i'll be having mixed rows of Kale, cauli's, cabbages, sprouts, broccoli and calabrese :oops:

xx
Sharing

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 17:53
by poultrygeist
xx
Garden sharing

Started by Aitch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 01:28
by Aitch
xx
sharing the greenhouse

Started by EVIE on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2008, 21:34
by fletch
xx
Sharing the harvest

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 11, 2021, 12:45
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.796 seconds with 36 queries.