Handling chickens

• 22 Replies

poultrygeist

Handling chickens
« on: April 05, 2008, 10:40 »
One thing I do struggle with is handling the chooks.

We have a book which shows in simple drawings how to pick them up but when I try, it turns into a bit of a fight !!
Lots of wing flapping and I've never yet managed to invert one under my arm for inspection.

Can't get into the coop (bad design on my part) to lift them off perches so has to be done prior to bedtime in reasonable light.

Could anyone do a step by step thread or point to a good, illustrated, online page which shows the correct method please ?

As summer approches ( :?:  :roll: ) I think it will become more important to inspect regularly for mites, etc so I want to be able to confidently 'lift and separate' as the saying goes !  :wink:

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

Vember

Handling chickens
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 11:00 »
Now thats a tricky one for me to discribe  :?

Mine are all quite tame so I'm very lucky thing is to be calm they know if your not  :lol:

Thumbs to the top of the bird, fingers down to the feet and grab so that the main part of your hand is over the wings. That stops the flapping well reduces it :lol:

I'll go get some photo's be best me thinks  :lol:

poultrygeist

Handling chickens
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 11:06 »
The book we have shows one hand under the breast and hooking round the legs while the other hand disappears round the back or side somewhere. I have tried a sort hybrid of this method and more like yours but I think it's neither one method nor another and achieves little.  :?

Thanks if you can. They are very feisty as i've said before and don't go down without a fight so I need a good positive technique that stops them flapping and/or pecking/running.

I know others say their amberlinks are docile and friendly so I know it's my technique and not the birds but they are strong willed.  :)

Rob

henpecked

Handling chickens
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 11:16 »
When I collected mine on Weds night, they'd never really been handled, when I got them back I thought stuff it, they're my chickens and I'll handle them if I wanna! I just get behind them and grab them with one hand either side with their wings pressed to their bodies so they can't flap. Then hold them against my side, under one arm with their bottom pointing away so they can't poop on me! I made sure all 4 had this treatment before I left them alone.

We have one who loves a cuddle (she jumped on OH's back yesterday as he was bending over), another who doesn't mind either way and two more flighty ones, although I went to stroke one of the flighty ones this morning and she went to flap and make a run, or so I thought, but she was arching her back for a stroke.

Vember

Handling chickens
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 11:19 »
Hope these help    :?

Obviously easier with small docile bird :)

If you want any pics from another angle let me know :) Both hands in same position :)

poultrygeist

Handling chickens
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 11:26 »
That looks simple enough. Certainly different to how the book shows it.

I could try approaching from front or behind. I know later on is meant to be easier with them being more subdued so perhaps tonight I'll give it a go. There's usually one or two still out when I go for lock-up so I might go in and attempt on them. As long as their crops are full they shouldn't go crazy for food which is what causes most of the commotion. They have plenty available but get very jealous of they think one is getting something !

I'll report back.

Thanks both. Rob

Vember

Handling chickens
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 11:32 »
Ye and the more noise they make the more the others come to see whats going on   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

poultrygeist

Handling chickens
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 11:36 »
They do tend to excite each other. Guess it's a survival thing but can be annoying when you're tryign to isolate one bird.

I planted a conifer in the run the other day and it was comical trying to excavate soil from hole as they were busy either scratching in it or kicking dirt back into it.
I was close to hysterics by the time I got the hole big enough.  :lol:

Rob

Vember

Handling chickens
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 11:42 »
my girls recognize the spade if I just pick it up to move it they go bananas  :lol:

Mrs.Tweedy

Handling chickens
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 19:31 »
I found putting a pair of gardening gloves on helpful. It seems that using a 'disguise' confuses them and they don't realise its 'the humans' hands coming near them! Good luck. I found that when mine escaped once it was a steep learning curve because I HAD to catch them. Once you have the wings under control they are a lot calmer. Not yet caught Kevin the cockerel yet though :roll:

henpecked

Handling chickens
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 19:34 »
The gardening gloves work both ways...disguising human hands but also make the catcher a bit more confident  :)

woodburner

Handling chickens
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 20:02 »
My hens associate my hands with food ;)  :lol:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

poultrygeist

Handling chickens
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 20:04 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
My hens associate my hands with food ;)  :lol:

Ours do too

They try to eat my fingers !

Leaf

• Experienced Member
Handling chickens
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 20:55 »
Dont know if this helps but,
I catch about 10 000 pheasant and partridges up, also the odd duck, goose and humble chicken. this is how i approach it, Make yourself big, legs and arms wide, slowly corner the bird and bring both hands towards it. It will go to dart in one direction when it does bring both hands down on its back, firmly but with out squishing it, wait for a second for it to calm then slowly scoop fingers underneath to postion shown above.
alternatively keep one hand on top pressing down on bird and qwith the other take both legs frmly with one hand.
Hope this helps, but please understand this is a "commercial" approach and may not suit all.
Above all be confident and firm.
Mal
we can plant a house, we can build a tree

poultrygeist

Handling chickens
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 21:02 »
Cheers Leaf.

Can't wait to give it a try but conscious of botching it and spooking them all.
I'll go armed with a pocket of grain ! Can always bribe them.

It should be easier in a small run but I think I'm moer hampered than them. I have to stoop for a start with only 5 foot headroom.

I'll get the little beggars.

Rob

xx
Handling chickens/perch

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:19
by nzdunn
xx
handling birds

Started by redreet on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 11:13
by redreet
xx
Handling Cockerels

Started by gsc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 08:58
by gsc
xx
handling equipment

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2009, 21:39
by oborne27

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 28 queries.