Handling Cockerels

• 10 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Handling Cockerels
« on: May 27, 2010, 18:09 »
Well I went to see the Lavenedar Araucunas  and Silver Penciled Wyandottes.

As soon as I saw the Araucuna cockerel I was smitten - until she said she was afraid of him and wouldn't go in the pen with him - she had to wait for her husband to do it.

I couldn't take to the Wyandottes after the Araucunas but I did really like the black silkies - alas they weren't for sale.

There was an amazing vivid multi-coloured cockerel walking round - I was really taken with it but she said it was bred from all sorts and just kept as a pet.

So - advice on handling cockerels please.  Would I be really crazy to take on the Araucuna after what she said?  In fact, is it daft for a novice to think about taking on a cockerel at all?

Maybe I could have a go at hatching some eggs and get a bit more experience?

dizzylizzie

Re: Handling Cockerels
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 18:23 »
My boy is a really big lad, and at one point i was a bit worried about him cos he seemed to kind of 'run at me'. My neighbours must think im mad as i threaten him with the pot all the time, but i would never do it cos i love him so much. Basically i just didnt understand him properly. he has been handled since he was a baby and i thought that would be enough, but i now know that i cant be seen as a threat to his girls. As long as i remember this and show him some respect everything is hunky dory :D You need to find out if he is aggressive or just looking after his girlies

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 18:31 »
You need to find out if he is aggressive or just looking after his girlies

I think he only has the one  ;) but she did say he hadn't done anything - he just frightened her - so I'm not sure what that means - or how to find out just how much of a problem it is.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 18:35 »
maybe you should go back and try and handle him, or at least go in the run with him and see how you feel :D

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 18:37 »
Lol - I wasn't brave enough but that's probably a good idea.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 18:42 »
Lol lol..take a broom in with you, and dont turn your back on him...worst case senario he comes at you, but you will have the broom to put between you both .Also the lady that is selling him said he hasnt done anything so its unlikely that he will :D....you wont know till you try :D :D

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 19:56 »
i carnt remember gsc but do you have any hens at the moment or is this just you starting out from scratch.   You have to remember that taking on a cockerel is gonna mean noise, if you have neighbours i would check with them first and just sort of let them know your plans, the last thing you need is the local council knocking on your door with complaints from the neighbours, then you have to ask yourself why you want a cockerel, do you plan to hatch fertile eggs, that will bump your numbers up and then you have to think about wot your gonna do with the unwanted cockerals.    nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 20:20 »
the offer of an eight week old one is still open, none of mine are agressive with me but some can be.
Staffies are softer than you think.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 20:33 »
Thanks all.

Nicky - I just have 4 hybrid hens at the moment but I guess it's pretty much starting from scratch.  And I'm thinking at the far corner of the 2 acres I will just about be OK for noise.  The paddock is about 70 metres by 140 but we only have 6 neighbours around one corner.

I won't panic at the thought of a cockerel coming at me, broom or no, but day to day logistics I'm a bit unsure about.

Joyfull, I appreciate the offer but honestly at the moment I am seeing everything offered in pairs or trios.  I would prefer if possible to just get females and worry about cockerels later.  I guess it just depends on what presents itself at the time.

I am seriously thinking about trying to hatch some eggs if I can cope with handling unwanted males.  ::)

Casey76

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 08:54 »
Why was the lady afraid of her cock bird?

I'm sorry to say, but in the typical "back yard" type set up (i.e. if you are not breeding to show) there is absolutely no need for aggressive cocks.  With firm, consistent handling cocks are usually well balanced happy chaps.

At the first sign of aggression you can pick him up and carry him around for half an hour (that way he goes where you want to, not where he wants to... that makes you the boss!)  But if it continued... Sunday lunch.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 08:58 »
Lol Casey - not sure - I did try and ask her but she said he just squared up to her and that was enough for her.

I have decided I will wait till after my holidays - too much to ask hubby and my friend to take on while I'm away, but I think I am going to have a go at hatching my own and get over this 'thing' about the males ending up in the freezer.

xx
handling birds

Started by redreet on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 30, 2013, 11:13
by redreet
xx
Handling new birds

Started by JJM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 12:01
by ANHBUC
xx
Handling my girls

Started by chickenlicken on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 18:54
by chickenlicken
xx
HANDLING HENS

Started by joyce c on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 16:11
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 38 queries.