Help needed

• 21 Replies

bally

Help needed
« on: April 02, 2008, 18:55 »
I have had a reply from a bredder does this seem about ok,as we wish to have some chooks at our house,and we have never done it before :wink:

thanks chris :D  

We have some super hybrids which lay approx 290 eggs per year and are very quiet, friendly and easy to handle. We have 3 different colours Black Star, Speckled Star & Meadowsweet Ranger. The cost is £15.00 per bird.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 18:59 »
They are all nice birds but rather expensive.  I'd would expect to pay a max of £10 per bird

bally

Help needed
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 19:01 »
does anyone know of anyone selling any in south wales :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help needed
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 19:05 »

bally

Help needed
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 19:21 »
thats were i got the number from :wink:  it was the one in carmarthenshire

poultrygeist

Help needed
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 20:38 »
Have prices gone up due to the recent increase in demand ?

A couple of people have said how hard it is to get hold of hens.

Rob

Belinda

• Experienced Member
Help needed
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 20:57 »
The breeder I have been in contact with charges £25 each for a Pekin Bantam. I'm not sure if thats expensive or not I suppose if I can't find anywhere else I will have to pay the price. :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help needed
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 21:04 »
Bantams are more expensive. They can be up to £30  :shock:

Belinda

• Experienced Member
Help needed
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 21:06 »
Thanks Aunt Sally I don't mind as long as I'm not being overcharged.

Jellyhead

Help needed
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 21:53 »
Blimey :shock: I pay a reputable breeder 15 euros top wack for my bantams, I have had Wyandottes, Pekins and Cochins (I think :oops: ). Having said that she wants 30-40 euros (the going rate) for Buff orpingtons which is quite expensive isnt it???
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Bodger

Help needed
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:02 »
Ordinary run of the mill Pekin bantams should be nothing like that price. I've said it before but IMO people are cashing in on first time buyers beginning to keep poultry. I wish I could help you all find stock at a fair price.

mtoyne

• Experienced Member
Help needed
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 08:39 »
Hi bally. Im new to this site but saw your post.I couldnt tell you what a good price for chickens is but have you considered getting some old battery hens? I went to pick up some on Sunday. The battery hen welfare trust rescue them and ask for a donation of 50 pence per chicken. The poor things have often got some feathers missing and arnt the prettiest things to look at when you first get them, but they soon perk up and you have the satisfaction of giving a loving home to these poor girls. We first started keeping chickens in Jan this year. They are so easy to look after and i love them to bits.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Help needed
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 09:03 »
The sites I've looked at the prices are anything from £5-15 for hybrids.  I'm looking for 3 different hybrids myself, want a variety of colours.  I'm going to start with those then think about ex batts after I've gained confidence.

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Help needed
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 09:21 »
The sites I've looked at the prices are anything from £5-15 for hybrids.  I'm looking for 3 different hybrids myself, want a variety of colours.  I'm going to start with those then think about ex batts after I've gained confidence.  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Help needed
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 09:25 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
Ordinary run of the mill Pekin bantams should be nothing like that price. I've said it before but IMO people are cashing in on first time buyers beginning to keep poultry. I wish I could help you all find stock at a fair price.

It's very difficult for new chicken keepers to find cheap, quality birds Bodger.  You may have a big network of chicken breeders to call on but most people don't.  It is far safer for a new keeper to buy from a supplier who has a reputation to maintain, even if the birds cost a bit more.  The birds will be good quality, in good health, vaccinated and the supplier will provides some after sales back up advice as good business practice.

Buying at auction or from a dodgy farmer 5 miles away that has a few hens and wants to off load some cheap is fraught with dangers for the first time buyer who will not pick up on any health problems or the age of a bird.  They often have a bad stressful experience which could put them off of chicken keeping for life.

question
Help needed please... advice on chicks needed

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 17:26
by Sassy
xx
Help needed

Started by philb98 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 01:04
by philb98
xx
help needed

Started by Bilbo67 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 22:10
by Bilbo67
xx
Help Needed Please

Started by SMIFFY on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 09:13
by SMIFFY

Page created in 0.495 seconds with 29 queries.