Rosemary Beetle

• 8 Replies

Ellkebe

Rosemary Beetle
« on: March 29, 2008, 17:15 »
I lost two large lavender bushes to Rosemary beetle this winter/Spring and it looks like I'm losing the battle for the Rosemary now  :(  
I've looked up several sites trying to find an (organic) solution - picking off and killing the grubs and beetles didn't save them! - but to no avail.  It's looking like, cos they're not native,  there aren't any natural predators.  
So, I was wondering how others are dealing with the little darlings, if at all?!  Any ideas much appreciated  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Rosemary Beetle
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 19:40 »
Never seen any of these but I believe it's pick them off or spray with insecticide  :(

Ellkebe

Rosemary Beetle
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 19:57 »
You'd remember them if you saw them Aunt Sally - they're very pretty  (d**n them!) I can't use insecticide as I'm organic :(   Think I might have to start a new rosemary inside til the grubs have all given up and gone else where.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Rosemary Beetle
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 20:32 »
Hi Ellkebe,

I've been browsing the internet and found some stuff on the BBC website.

Treatment

Chemical

Products containing the following chemical ingredients are all effective on rosemary leaf beetle:

Imidicloprid
Bifenthrin
Pyrethrum
Natural fatty acids
Surfactant-based products

Note: It is important to read manufacturer's instructions for use and the associated safety data information before applying chemical treatments.

Organic

* Regular observation in late spring each year is essential to prevent infestations establishing.
    * Removing adults and larvae by hand will help to reduce numbers. Shaking infested bushes over an old towel or sheet will enable large infestations to be collected and removed.
    * Netting and fleeces can be used to stop adults moving between plants.
    * There are currently no natural enemies commercially available to control rosemary leaf beetle.

Prevention

* Check plants on a weekly basis for signs of infestation and deal with them as soon as they appear.
    * Encourage insectivorous birds by hanging feeders in the winter and provide nesting boxes in the spring.

I hope that this is of use.
Teen

agapanthus

Rosemary Beetle
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 20:34 »
Quote from: "Teen76"
Hi Ellkebe,

I've been browsing the internet and found some stuff on the BBC website.

Treatment

Chemical

Products containing the following chemical ingredients are all effective on rosemary leaf beetle:

Imidicloprid
Bifenthrin
Pyrethrum
Natural fatty acids
Surfactant-based products

Note: It is important to read manufacturer's instructions for use and the associated safety data information before applying chemical treatments.

Organic

* Regular observation in late spring each year is essential to prevent infestations establishing.
    * Removing adults and larvae by hand will help to reduce numbers. Shaking infested bushes over an old towel or sheet will enable large infestations to be collected and removed.
    * Netting and fleeces can be used to stop adults moving between plants.
    * There are currently no natural enemies commercially available to control rosemary leaf beetle.

Prevention

* Check plants on a weekly basis for signs of infestation and deal with them as soon as they appear.
    * Encourage insectivorous birds by hanging feeders in the winter and provide nesting boxes in the spring.

I hope that this is of use.

It is to me thanks!!!! I lurve the stuff!! ;)

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Rosemary Beetle
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 20:39 »
Glad to help.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Rosemary Beetle
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 22:09 »
This is the Rosemary Beetle:

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
Rosemary Beetle
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 22:13 »
Why are some pests so bloomin' pretty?   :?   I'd feel sad to squish them.  I feel that way about Red Lily Beetles too.

Ellkebe

Rosemary Beetle
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 00:03 »
It surely is one beautiful critter :D - but what it did to my lavenders wasn't :(

Thanks for the feedback Agapanthus.   I did the picking them off by hand, but to little avail in the end.  I didn't try netting the plants off from each other - that's a good idea and worth trying.

xx
Rosemary Beetle

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 15:20
by Trillium
xx
Rosemary beetle

Started by Maryann on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 16:17
by Maryann
xx
I've found a rosemary leaf beetle

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2007, 15:19
by Trillium
xx
Rosemary

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 12:38
by JayG

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 28 queries.