cages

• 7 Replies

bright lights

cages
« on: March 07, 2008, 23:19 »
i want to build myself a cage to completely cover one of my beds in which i want to plant all my brassicas but am unsure of the height it should be.I wish to grow sprouts,are these the tallest brassicas or have i forgotten some other? THANK YOU!

gobs

cages
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 23:33 »
Yes, unless you want to grow walking stick cabbage or the like, some sprouting broccoli might get minimally taller though, but more or less that's the hight.

If you have means and can afford, walking in is always much easier to cultivate though.

On the other hand, are you rotating crops? Like where is your brassica going next year?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

bright lights

cages
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 08:38 »
thanks gobs,wanted to be able to dismantle the cage easily so that it could be rotated.was thinking something along the lines of aviary panels laid on their side but obviously higher than the average panel,bout 3 and a half feet to cover sprouts and fastened with tie wraps for easy take down and with just a net lid that i could roll back to weed? or is this a dodo idea? mr gobs?!  :D

gobs

cages
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 09:57 »
Sounds good, in fact anything that stands up to the winds.

Only a little girlie here. :lol:

bright lights

cages
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 11:31 »
whoops,do apologise....dont know why for one minute i associated GOBS with a man  :wink:  so terribly sorry little girlie gobs,from little girlie bright lights  :oops:

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
cages
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 17:42 »
I made mine out of 21mm overflow pipe from Screwfix direct. It comes in packs of 10 3 metre lengths for £10. And you can buy right angled joints to fix the cross pieces. The overflow tube can also be bent into hoops that will cover a single row of cabbages or cauli easily. Easy to make, easy to move. Not particularly good looking but it works. I just drape net over the top and hold down the sides with bits of wood.
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
cages
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 09:39 »
I'm wanting to make a cage too.

I've bought 30 5.5ft canes (which will prob be about 4.5ft once pushed into the ground) and 3 lots of pond & crop netting. Also bought some 'daisies' to put on the top of the canes (flat discs).

I'm wondering if this will be sufficient if i anchor the net to the ground aswell? They're not going to be huge cages. The beds themselves are only about 4ft by 7ft.

Do you reckon this will be ok?  :?
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

shaun

cages
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 10:23 »
a second hand gazebo werks for me with a net thrown over the top,there not that expensive new realy ive seen them for around £30,and you can walk in for weeding etc with no faffing about removing the net,when its time to move it just get another person and lift it to where ever you want.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

question
Brassica cages

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 21:39
by lazydog
xx
fruit cages

Started by teltronic1 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 21:48
by richyrich7
xx
Brassica cages help please

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 23:01
by galen
xx
Frui cages with no fruit?t

Started by shay on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 13:03
by Salmo

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 28 queries.