Growing for Tiddlers - any advice??

• 13 Replies

puravida

• Experienced Member
« on: March 07, 2008, 18:55 »
My little boy, Noah, is just teething and we'll be trying him on solids in the next month or so.

I'm keen to grow as much as I can to feed him so his blended mush comes straight form an organic garden into his mouth within minutes rather than buying baby food or even buying supermarket veg to cook for him.

Any suggestions what is good to grow for baby food? Fruits or veg??

I'm thinking the obvious - carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, butternut.

Any other suggestions from experienced hands?
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

naturesparadise

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 19:00 »
spinach
baby beetroot
sweetcorn
peas

there is some lol its a great idea too grow it for the baby

agapanthus

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 19:00 »
.....all of the above plus soft fruit, raspberries, blueberries and of course strawberries!!! :).....Be careful of rhubarb tho'.....loadsa pooy nappies!!!!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 19:17 »
they reckon butternut squash is very good weaning food for babies. Not bad eating for adults either.  Easily digested apparently  :D

HFW feeds his babe on beetroot - there's a pic of his beetroot spattered young one in his book  :D   Yeah carrots and spuds would be good.  

I'd have a look at wholesomebaby.com  :D

gobs

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 20:26 »
Parsnip. :)

All roots and squash , sweet pots are brilliant, got to leave most brassica and legumes for a bit later as they tend to be harder to digest, some babies struggle with pots.

Cucumbers and melons are good finger foods with that bread stick. Easy fruit, apples, pears and I think most soft fruit, as Aggy says, but if memory serves right strawb is not recommended till year one.

Pured peppers, kinda pesto style, corquettes, you must do celery, most kids love it and is easy to digest, also some broccoli for the autumn, for later on.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 21:36 »
Any veg can be turned into baby food. Mine used to love brussels blitzed in the blender!!  Did make her nappy smell though!!

gobs

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 21:41 »
Yes, with more or less success and at different ages, as a couple of months makes a lot of difference at the growth rate they have. I know someone whose baby almost died after being fed cabbage and the doctor was outraged  , very smelly nappies are a bit of a giveaway, too. :wink:  :lol:

mkhenry

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 22:23 »
Basically anything that you can boil and mash will be fine.
I know what you mean about those baby foods,expensive and not that good but very convenient.
When my granson stayed I stoked up on every thing that said baby food just in case. :lol:

He did not like that Baby Bio though. :roll:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

Annie

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 18:08 »
Definaly those you mentioned add broccolli,tomatoes and cucumbers and swede,little peeps like beetroot but I`d go with choggia which will not turn his wee,pooh and all clothing red! :lol:

diddy dave

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 18:39 »
ive got a 10month old son my self and i am doing veg growing for the same reason i my self will eat anything so i want my son to be the same we try him with all sorts of veg he loves mash potato parsnip carrots broccoli sweed peas beans most veg a little tip the wife when trying him on some thing new if he don't like it much she will put a bit off melted cheese or a drop of milk just to get him interested.. hope that was of some help if u get 5mins go to the library or Google   it good luck david.... :)

Wildeone

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 18:50 »
Both my girls would of happily lived on butternut and parsnip mash (with lentils once a little older) and apple and pear puree!!!

I made loads and loads of babyfood and had a freezer full of little cubes that could be defrosted on demand! Even though you want it to be as fresh as possible do a little extra and freeze some so that on days when you're really busy or out for the day you can pop a few cubes in a tubberware and go!!! You'll find that you wont get caught out with hungry child and no food as often then!!! :wink:
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

Annie

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2008, 22:31 »
don`t put mashed potato into icecube trays it is a ****** to get out,if you want to freeze some then spoonfulls onto a metal tray then put into bags when frozen is better.We froze any leftover veg mashed,without salt,into cube trays too works brilliantly as only tiny amounts are needed at first and it is impossible at first to puree very small amounts without cooking them to bits.My 4 yr old is regularly down the veg patch checking to see if the purple sprouting is going to give us enough this weekend and if the tiny left over sprouts can be eaten and to eat the little heads off a lone remaining calabrese plant.....

GreenOwl

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 14:20 »
Believe the latest thing is "Baby-led weaning" where you wait until 6 months and start them straight on finger-food - chip-sized and shaped pieces of fruit, veg, toast etc.  No, I haven't tried it.

I'd say avoid strawberries and kiwi fruit (ok probably not grown at home anyway) for the first year as they are the fruit people are most likely to be allergic to.  Peas and sweetcorn are hard to digest as you will find out when you change nappies afterwards!

The only thing I have to suggest that nobody else has mentioned is courgette.  Finger food or mashed.

gobs

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 19:39 »
Also avoid pineapple. :)  Not that you can grow it. :roll:

xx
suitable planting for tiddlers??

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 29, 2007, 08:58
by Annie
xx
Can I plant leftover onion tiddlers?

Started by HilaryG on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2009, 17:20
by pushrod
smiley
really new to growing, advice??

Started by bazzakk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 14, 2010, 13:14
by bazzakk
xx
New to growing veg - advice please

Started by tonydsam on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 22, 2008, 22:13
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 28 queries.