EGLUS & OMLET

• 28 Replies

Scribbler

EGLUS & OMLET
« on: February 28, 2008, 09:24 »
Do many people out there use Eglus? The chooks next door seem to like theirs, and as long as they're shut in at night, the fox can't get them.

I'm starting to weaken...
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Wildeone

EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:29 »
I really really really REALLY wanted one but i just couldn't afford it!  :cry:

But they look sooooooo cool and look really easy to clean.
1 x hubby
2 x daughters
3 x chickens
1 x bunny
6 x african snails  . . . . . and counting.

Scribbler

EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:44 »
Jeeez! I see what you mean! £360 odd.

You get the Eglu, a foxproof run, feeders and drinker, awning for shade, 10 egg boxes and an instruction book.

£390 with a couple of chooks. Crumbs!

They are great to use though. Really excellent piece of design. Might be worth looking out for a second hand one.

I was really knocked out by the eggs though. Completely off the scale tastewise.

mikebucks

eglus and omlet
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:46 »
Hi Scribbler, I have recently got an Eglu and think they are a great design and I think they are particularly popular with newbies because it seems like a kit with all the instructions!  They are easy do drag around the garden , the only down side is the size of the unextended run and I am buying the extension and waiting for delivery at the moment. They do restrict the number of chickens but are good for three reasonable sized birds.

Mike

Wildeone

EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 09:50 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"
Jeeez! I see what you mean! £360 odd.

You get the Eglu, a foxproof run, feeders and drinker, awning for shade, 10 egg boxes and an instruction book.

£390 with a couple of chooks. Crumbs!

They are great to use though. Really excellent piece of design. Might be worth looking out for a second hand one.

I was really knocked out by the eggs though. Completely off the scale tastewise.

I know!!! You do get them on eb*y but tend to go for £300 second hand!! So another plus side they hold their value!!!

mikebucks

EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 09:54 »
The other thing about second hand is that whilst slightly cheaper you have to usually go and fetch them. I didn't fancy all that in the back of my car!
Mike

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 11:03 »
Aunty's a big fan, she has one
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 11:11 »
I've had my eglu for nearly 3 years and it is in as good a condition now as when I bought it.  

Takes me 10 mins once a month to clean with my karcher, comes up good as new.  Red mite stand NO chance of getting a foot hold. It takes 20 seconds a day to empty any pooh's out.  It's double skinned so warm in winter and cool in summer. The run IS fox proof and expendable.

If any one wants a demo of one many of the Omlet forum members (including me, just PM me) are happy to show off their eglu in their own garden, we even provide tea and cake  8)  Contact Barbara on barbara@omlet.co.uk and she will put you in contact with one of us.

They are expensive to start off with but with zero maintenance, long lasting build quality and high second hand value they work out just as cheap as a wooden coop in the long run.  

A descent meal for the family in a nice restaurant will set you back £30 a head at least,  A family holiday many hundreds.  How much do pedegree puppies and kittens cost to buy ?  If you want pet hens an Eglu is perfect.

Sorry to sound like an advert but anyone who knows me here will know my views  :oops:

BUY ONE SCRIBBLER  :wink:  :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 11:17 »
........ told you so  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 11:20 »
I'm very predictable when it come to Eglu's Richy  :oops:  :lol:

Scribbler

EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 11:52 »
What normally happens with chickens and health problems? Do they normally look after themselves apart from the odd feather clipping here and there, and application of Vaseline? Just wondering about whether people run up vet's bills. And what happens when they get old? Do they die of natural causes or chicken diseases? I'm afraid I couldn't put them down - I'd have to take them to the vet!!

poultrygeist

EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 12:57 »
I think it's fair to say that chickens WILL get problems at some point but the secret is in keeping an eye on them and their behaviour and spotting it early on before it becomes serious. Easier said than done !

Their life expectancy is apparently around 6-10 years but I presume it varies with breeds, etc.

The set up costs whichever way you go will need to include things like red mite powder, disinfectant, etc.

But food is not a lot per month and the eggs offset the outlay.

Rob

poultrygeist

EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 13:01 »
Best thing might to lurk on the forum for a while longer Scribbler and you get to see a lot of problems and remedies pass by.

I now feel a lot more confident about spotting and dealing with troubles just by reading other folks' threads.

And the vet is not necessarily inevitable but is an option at any time. I'd rather try to treat where I can than pay the vet but if we need to we will.

R

babe

• elvis king of chooks
EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 13:17 »
i would love a couple of eglu cubes, one pink and one purple.

i even have a chicken shaped money box that im saving up in.

im guessing that i can have them in around 2039, so not long to go :?

but it will be worth the wait :lol:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
EGLUS & OMLET
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 16:03 »
Chicken health,
I think a lot of problems can be avoided with basic animal husbandry skills, regular worming delousing, clean water  etc

Some people would take them to a vet, others would destroy depends on your outlook.

Lots of good advice in the Poultry information section I'd start there Scribbler

xx
eglus

Started by Hick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 09:29
by Dominic
xx
Flies and Eglus

Started by violet on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 08, 2008, 08:50
by violet
xx
Eglus - how portable are they?

Started by jjmack on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 13:58
by urban-chickens
xx
Plastic roosting bars for Eglus

Started by compostqueen on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2008, 17:13
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 36 queries.