Perilla Shiso

• 2 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Perilla Shiso
« on: June 21, 2024, 19:12 »
So just orderd both red and green leaf, sounds interesting as I love a sald with flavour.

Has anyone grown it? Does it match the description of anise and cinnamon?
Easy to grow.
Would interesting to hear thoughts.
Cheers
« Last Edit: June 21, 2024, 22:32 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Snow

• Experienced Member
Re: Perilla Shiso
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2024, 09:04 »
Green grows better in the UK and is also better tasting imo. You may be a bit late in starting but I'd get it sown immediately. I've not grown it this year as the seeds I had were too old! I had zero germination from both red and green.

It's like celery, needs light to germinate. So wet compost, sprinkle seeds on top and wet, cover, cover with clear plastic/glass leave somewhere light but out of direct sun.
It tastes unlike other herbs imo, hard to describe

If you want another weird tasting (to typical UK tastes :D) herb, next year try epazote. It smells of diesel, you use it in mexican cooking. Culantro/shado beni is another good one, used in Carribbean foods

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Perilla Shiso
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2024, 20:02 »
Green grows better in the UK and is also better tasting imo. You may be a bit late in starting but I'd get it sown immediately. I've not grown it this year as the seeds I had were too old! I had zero germination from both red and green.

It's like celery, needs light to germinate. So wet compost, sprinkle seeds on top and wet, cover, cover with clear plastic/glass leave somewhere light but out of direct sun.
It tastes unlike other herbs imo, hard to describe

If you want another weird tasting (to typical UK tastes :D) herb, next year try epazote. It smells of diesel, you use it in mexican cooking. Culantro/shado beni is another good one, used in Carribbean foods

Many thanks, can only try it, that's the beauty of Grow Your Own.

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 31 queries.