What I did on the plot today 2024

• 69 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Re: What I did on the plot today 2024
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2024, 12:36 »
Planted up some tomatoes in a bed at the plot.
Hopefully they or the ones in buckets at home will produce adequately to offset other poor crops.
A bit disappointed with number of slugs this year, my recently planted French beans have been attacked now. Very annoying that I can’t really defend my crops effectively.
Collected some more asparagus and lettuce.
Keep digging

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2024, 11:32 »
Planted the sweetcorn out. Now concerned i might have left too big a gap between plants(about 18 inches)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2024, 14:53 »
14 - 18 ins is usual, according to the RHS, so nothing to worry about  :D

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2024, 17:33 »
More strimming, hoeing. Squashes and pumpkins are still to take off. Must be the weather

Ali T

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2024, 16:45 »
Lifted my first 'first early' potatoes (Pentland Javelin) - just to see how they were getting on (planted out 12 weeks ago) - and then had half of them with a roast for lunch as a treat for getting absolutely soaked in a heavy downpour whilst digging the blighters out.
My diminutive squash plantlets are really struggling (Hunter and Festival) I dont hold out much hope for them, but the borlotti and cobra beans are starting to pick up, as are the tomatoes in the greenhouse, so I have some light at the end of the tunnel!
When I got back from the plot, hunted through my seed packets and found a new packet of 6 'Ichiki kuri' squash seeds, so potted them up in the greenhouse and crossed my fingers - better late than never!

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2024, 19:01 »
Added some more grass clippings in the compost bin. The weather forecast is looking better by next weekend so hopefully things get going  :)

Ali T

« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2024, 18:47 »
To plot early doors to beat the heat - Took some garden clippings, kitchen peelings etc and coffee grinds to the plot for the compost bin. Planted a couple of 'spare' dahlias in the pollinator bed - which is looking quite good now - full of flowers and bees, which is lovely. Then gritted my teeth and went through the whole plot digging out the various weeds that have bulked up because I ignored them last week....Grrrrr......but as a reward I found some hidden treasure in the form of a decent turnip, a red beetroot and some radishes! Dig up the second 'Pentland Javelin' plant, and found about 5lb potatoes under there - big ones too! (4inch by 2.5 inches) - after only 13 weeks I expected them to be smaller.
Pollinator bed June 24.jpg
Harvest 22.06.24.jpg

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2024, 20:20 »
More hoeing, watering. Spotted the first pumpkin on one plant even though the plant has hardly grown so hopefully things will catch up now

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 12:09 »
Watered everywhere and cleared my garlic bed.

snowdrops

« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 21:00 »
Weeded the brassica cage & planted out some cauliflowers -Aalsmeer & romanesco, dwarf kale, savoy, greyhound,wheelers Imperial & hispi cabbages, 2 types of kohl rabi, ( I also popped some leftover kohl rabi in the tunnel as they did really well last year) not ideal in the high heat we’ve had today, but they were in very small modules & slowly giving up, so now they’ve got two choices, plus I go away on Monday and at least I can water them well until then, then hubby is in charge lol. Planted some marigolds that I bought at the weekend into tge tunnel around the tomatoes, to deter whitefly. Weeded the paths & cleared up all the bamboo canes that I’ll not use this year & stashed them back in the chicken pen in the roof, put all the unused posts back under the ‘tea’ shed. Had a good sweep up. Every where looks so much better.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.804 seconds with 50 queries.