Crosswords, codewords etc

• 8 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Crosswords, codewords etc
« on: September 14, 2023, 11:19 »
Since my wife died three and a half years ago I've become addicted to crosswords and codewords. The Times main cryptic one remains usually unfinished but its Quick Cryptic and Codeword plus the local paper's cryptic plus codeword I can unually finish in an hour, two at the most. They keep me going while my tea is cooking or during the washing machine cycle etc. Anyone else with this addiction?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Crosswords, codewords etc
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 12:31 »
I enjoy puzzles too, Alan - but I do them on my tablet or phone.  Cross words, sudoku, Suguru, SumSudoku, Sea Battle and many more.  ::)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 12:33 »
I used to do the Guardian cryptic one as you can print it out for free. Nowadays my poorly OH keeps me busy so I don't have the time to focus on it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 13:05 »
Instead of Wordle or similar, I do mini nerdle / binerdle, which is a small daily maths-based quiz. I don't do the full nerdle - that's far too hard core!!  :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 13:10 »
I do Wordle and X-Sudoku online  :)

wighty

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 16:55 »
I do crosswords, solitaire, mahjong, freecell and other word games or card games to keep my mind active.  I can't do number problems as my brain finds them problematical.  Paul can do numbers but finds spelling ones hard, but he often beats me at Scrabble which we    play often.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 13:14 »
My wife does the i quick crossword and code word.
I help with the quick crossword filling in gaps.
We also do the crosswords in the local paper and Saturday Telegraph.
Hopefully keeping our minds functioning.
Keep digging

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 18:46 »
I've always got a book of The Daily Telegraph Cryptic Crosswords on the go, and used to keep a tally of ones I could finish - which was rare, so now I just do them in order, and not 'compete' with myself, which makes it more fun!

I love Sudoku, and do The Times Fiendish as a challenge never to fill in the possibles, so they take quite a while - sometimes a couple of weeks! Just lately though, a daughter told me about Killer Sudoku which I do on an iPhone! Now that really is a challenge, and I can only succeed on the 'Hard' category after an hour or so, as the extreme one is a complete *******!

Also there's a nice little app called Woodoku, which looks a bit silly, but really does tax the old cells more than somewhat...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2023, 22:27 »
Also there's a nice little app called Woodoku, which looks a bit silly, but really does tax the old cells more than somewhat...

I’ve just had a go at that Mr. G.   Very tricky and quite compelling.

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 39 queries.