Couch grass amidst blackberry canes

• 6 Replies

Howlin

Couch grass amidst blackberry canes
« on: April 20, 2023, 12:55 »
Like so many allotment plots ours was full of couch grass when we took it over.  Have been fairly vigilant in keeping new growth out but unfortunately there is now a large clump surrounding one of our blackberry canes.  So far its not affected the blackberry but how could I get rid of it. Its too intertwined to dig out.  I am reluctant to dig out the blackberry!  Have assumed any use of weedkiller would affect the blackberry.  Any suggestions?

Blewit

• Experienced Member
Re: Couch grass amidst blackberry canes
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 16:02 »
Hi Howlin and welcome. I had the same thing in raspberries some years back so using an artists paint brush painted individual leaves with roundup. It goes back to the rhizomes so no need to paint everything but you do have to be patient and keep at it.

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 22:55 »
I don't know what it is about fruit and also asparagus.  Perennial crops always seem to attract perennial weeds that are difficult to remove.
I have couch grass round the gooseberry and the raspberries. The latter have dandelions too.
The asparagus has acquired a large dock leaf right in the middle of an asparagus clump.  Impossible to dig out. Grrrr.

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2023, 09:24 »
Ref spot treatment with glyphosate:  I got some long-sleeved rubber gloves and also some cotton gloves.  The idea I'd seen mentioned was to put on rubber gloves with cotton over top.  Dip cotton gloves in container of doom and wipe on weed.  Great idea but trouble is couch grass always gets itself too up close and personal so cant do it precise enough.  Have tried protecting raspberry etc with plastic sheet then spraying but it's a bit fiddly

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 10:42 »
It goes back to the rhizomes so no need to paint everything but you do have to be patient and keep at it.

Don’t forget this piece of information, Candide.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 17:00 »
I drop spadefuls of horse manure over the couch grass when it is dormant and re apply as it grows. Won’t get rid of it altogether but it can keep it down. I do the same at the base of my blackcurrant bushes.

Howlin

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 14:29 »
Thanks for your replies.  Will try the very careful application of weed killer and keep fingers crossed!

xx
Couch grass in my Raspberry canes - Advise please

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 21:20
by Jome
xx
Blackberry canes

Started by Dazzer on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 08:31
by Dazzer
xx
propagating blackberry canes.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 21:06
by Lardman
xx
Situation of blackberry canes

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 19:19
by tam

Page created in 0.717 seconds with 43 queries.