What I did on the plot today 2023

• 158 Replies

Candide

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2023
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2023, 14:20 »
Went up the plot this morning to plant out some modules.  Everything baked into concrete but a bit more crumbly where we'd mulched heavily in the autumn.
Hacked out holes for some summer cabbage but don't hold out much hope.  A couple of climbing squash in a slightly better patch - they might survive but cant see them galloping away.
Will get another load of mushroom compost in the autumn plus stuff from our heaps might mulch everywhere.

Marijke Jones

• Newbie on the veggie growing front
« Reply #106 on: June 11, 2023, 10:31 »
Removing sticky Willy today. Horrible stuff and sticks to my garden gloves

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2023, 16:27 »
I'm trying to get holes dug for transplanting cucumbers and tromboncino squash.  I'm having to dodge some thunderstorms to do that today, so I'm not getting as much done as I'd like.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

snowdrops

« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2023, 21:40 »
4 hours spent up there from 8am to beat the heat, prepared holes for planting gherkins, by filling the holes 2 or 3 times with water & then puddling the plants in. Then I built a moat around all 6 plantings & filled it up twice with water, I’ve done my best for them, they needed to go out as they were struggling in their modules & im busy the next couple of days & were forecast rain. Also did some swoeing- fruit cage & edges of other beds. Weeded strawberry hanging baskets  :mad:, note to self, another year don’t use homemade compost mixed in just use it at the bottom & add water retaining crystals to aid watering. Picked a load of broad beans.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #109 on: June 13, 2023, 10:02 »
Got up early(so I thought) to water the allotment at 6:30 only to find 3 other people were already there with their hosepipes! I'll have to rethink and go again after work tomorrow at 22:00.

snowdrops

« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2023, 17:34 »
Hubby & I went up earlish to get the netting on the top of the fruit cage-note to self, get it done earlier next year when there’s no growth in there,also buy new netting! We also sorted out the empty water barrels finally, I gave them a scrub out & hubby is going to link the ones by the tea shed so they can all fill up if it ever rains again  :wub:

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: June 13, 2023, 22:21 »
Planting tromboncino and cucumber seedlings in hills beneath home-made fence wire towers.  The towers are going in next to existing fence wire trellises.  Tromboncino towers are about 8 feet tall, cucumber towers are a bit shorter. The soil is rooted and rocky, lots of work with a soil auger, digging bar and pickaxe.  That soil has a granular to blocky texture at the surface, but is sandy loam below, tough to dig through when dry but a little easier after a rain (like now).

Also, some of the snow pea plants are done for the year, time to cut them down.  A few plants may yield a bit longer, but probably won't live long past the 32 C temperatures we are expecting 3 days from now.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2023, 09:04 »
Woke up at 3am couldn't get back to sleep, so went to water the allotment at 3:45 just as it was getting light

snowdrops

« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2023, 15:40 »
Yesterday just watering & care of chickens as I was out all day but himself came  & watered with me so everything got a good watering to try to combat the heat of yesterday & forecast today. Too hot to be there this afternoon when I had the time.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2023, 19:02 »
Pruned back suckers on tomato plants.  Planted the last few tomatoes from nursery pots along a trellis where peas are being removed.  Harvested zucchini. Side dressed pepper plants, rhubarb, beets, carrots with 13-13-13 fertilizer.

I'm starting a few orange grape tomatoes for a late summer to fall crop.  I will likely do the same with a few determinate tomatoes (Goliath Bush, 42-Day) and some Stupice at the end of next month.  Just something to give us some tomatoes through most of November.

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2023, 14:40 »
Weeds had exploded under the brassica nets so uncovered and weeded. Can't say I enjoyed doing it lol

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2023, 08:49 »
Yes Viking the recent rain seems to have super charged the weeds on my plot too!
Had to remove numerous weeds choking my onions after the rain and one week away.
Cleared out my peas and they were equally infested by weeds. It’s a tricky balance keeping the birds and butterflies off crops whilst allowing easy weeding. HH
Keep digging

vikingraider

• Experienced Member
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2023, 20:14 »
More hoeing and watering. Looks like i'm going to have to uncover the brassica nets again for weeding

Candide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2023, 16:06 »
Like others, weeded under brassica net and where some had been slug banquet I planted cavalo nero.  Theory is that summer cabbage gets lifted and leaves more space for the cavalo.  Plan to put in kohl rabi when the ones in modules have grown on a bit.
Short row of spring onion and beet.
Celeriac were sulking so bought 9 plants and put them in.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2023, 18:27 »
Cleared broad beans and sowed some peas.
Weeded a couple of beds.
Harvested some raspberries.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 0.708 seconds with 46 queries.