Tipping local services at Christmas

• 14 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Tipping local services at Christmas
« on: December 19, 2022, 15:42 »
Do you still tip your postman/woman and the bin-emptiers at Christmas? I did until about three years ago but they seemed so shocked and even embarrassed that I assumed it was an outdated custom and stopped doing it

AndyRVTR

Re: Tipping local services at Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2022, 15:54 »
Errrmm.. no!

wighty

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2022, 16:30 »
As we seem to have a different Postie every day, don't bother there.  The refuse collectors get a packet of chocolate biscuits to share between them.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2022, 16:37 »
If our coalman is the same bloke we have had for years, from Corralls, he gets a bottle of wine, but as our great old (young) postman, Steve, left, we really don't feel inclined to give them anything, especially as their strike issues somewhat dampen our enthusiasm for goodwill an' all that...

The dustmen don't really count, especially as they always leave the emptied blasted bin right in the middle of our gates, so I couldn't get back in this morning without a big detour and a lot of bad language!

But we always tip our hairdressers, as they work their socks off, and always do a home visit for Mrs Growster, which is just marvellous!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2022, 17:17 »
My window cleaner kindly told me a few days ago that he wouldn't be round again 'til after Christmas, but I just gave him his usual money and left it at that  ::)
and yes, Growster, I always used to tip the coalman, when they carried huge sacks on their backs round the back to the coal shed - cos that really was hard work, wasn't it? Nowadays my delivery is only a few small bags on a trolley, and the lads just dump them by the front door and walk off  :(

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2022, 18:14 »
Nope. If I receive a level of service above what I have paid for I might leave a tip at the time, doesn't happen often at all anymore though.  I certainly don't feel the need to tip my ever changing postie when the first class mail I had delivered today was dated 8 December.

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2022, 19:12 »
I now only tip for service that's above and beyond.  There are still some people out there who are proud of what they do and do it to the utmost of their ability and I feel this does need to be recognised, not only with a tip, but with a verbal "thank you". I think we all know who they are because we are usually stunned to get the sort of service that we used to years ago instead of  the couldn't care less attitude of far too many.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2022, 20:42 »
Barber, yes, tends to be 25 or 30 %

Waitstaff at a restaurant 20% (acceptable service), or 25% (great service), occasionally 30% for exceptional service.

All our heat, power, water delivered by pipe or cable.

We generally don't tip painters, roof cleaners, etc., just negotiate a rate and pay it, promptly.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

GraciesGran

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2022, 20:43 »
The bin men where we live are worth their weight in gold do I tip them.  Over the past few months we have had a series of different postmen so no.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2022, 09:48 »
Afraid no tips here apart from in the hairdressers.( & restaurants)
Mind you I suspect my wife gives a tip that’s larger than my cost for the haircut.  :lol:
Keep digging

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2022, 13:56 »
I've had the same window cleaners for all the 22 years I've lived here - they always were a bit erratic, which hasn't improved now they're starting to creak a bit.

A couple of years ago they came to clean the windows on Christmas Eve, just as I was about to leave to stay with a friend for the festivities. I gave one of them the usual money, and he stared glumly at his hand as if I'd just presented him with a fresh cowpat!

I now give them a bit over and above the usual fee throughout the year to compensate!  :D
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2022, 16:43 »
my wife used to be one of the local post ladies and because she would always go that extra bit people did  appreciate that and she had many Christmas gifts when they closed the local post office and all the staff where moved to a town sorting office and made all posties drive a van so my wife retired then and now we get a different postie every day

as we still have our milk delivered we do tip the milk boy and that's about all if someone does us a favour for free we always give them a tip

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2022, 22:58 »
my wife used to be one of the local post ladies and because she would always go that extra bit people did  appreciate that and she had many Christmas gifts when they closed the local post office and all the staff where moved to a town sorting office and made all posties drive a van so my wife retired then and now we get a different postie every day

as we still have our milk delivered we do tip the milk boy and that's about all if someone does us a favour for free we always give them a tip

Because our mail carriers are all federal government employees, no tipping is allowed (against the law).

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2022, 11:33 »
I would only tip if someone has gone beyond their duties, but I always give a grateful big thank you to those who are polite and helpful such as the Waitrose chaps who deliver to us.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2022, 17:36 »
It's now half-five, and very dark, and Andrew is still on his coal deliveries!

All the outside lights are on, and anyway, he uses a body-torch to find the bunker...

Fiver at the ready - he's a great chap!

xx
Christmas Tipping

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 23, 2019, 20:13
by Growster...
xx
Shop local?

Started by Christine on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post September 16, 2020, 11:40
by New shoot
xx
Local elections

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2021, 18:27
by Yorkie
xx
The local waste Tip

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2020, 20:13
by grinling

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 49 queries.