Shop local?

• 4 Replies

Christine

Shop local?
« on: September 15, 2020, 16:23 »
Well the local garden centre has come up trumps with 50 litre squat plastic pots for the transfer of fruit bushes from the plot I'm giving up at a better than online offers. Certainly better than Amazon! Or EBay!

But gaffer is still glad he hasn't re-opened his cafe. Seems that those garden centres locally which have and are obeying all the Covid guidance are losing money hand over fist. Because it seems their clientele is the older generation who go for a walk round the garden centre, buy a plant then stop for coffee and cake and gossip for 2 hours. And these oldies are not coming out in enough numbers!

Don't you believe that all your garden centres don't talk to each other. They do. I've know that these many years.

rowlandwells

Re: Shop local?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 17:46 »
your possibly rite Christine what your saying having  visited three  of our local  garden centres recently we found the smaller garden centre who doesn't do any meals teas etc was quite busy selling plants and where very strict of people sanitising hands  wearing face masks and keeping to the designated routs  at all times inside the store

however we found the2 larger garden centres both with instore restaurants where not advising those not wearing a mask in store of the legal requirement unless exempt and also people where not adhering to the designated store routs ?

so its no wonder people are not supporting them if the can't be bothered to enforce the CV19 rules as per government instructions for all and not just the few

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 06:42 »
In garden centre, part of chain, last week and it was full of people just milling about but not seeming to buy anything.  Whole place had a slightly frantic feel to it and we beat a hasty retreat.  Went to our local yesterday, one way system, lots of hand sanitiser, bought what I wanted (and more) felt comfortable.  Staff were chatty and helpful, very pre Covid.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 07:07 »
Most of the garden centres around here are independents - the chain Dobbies has one within travelling distance but the rest not.

It makes a difference in style doesn't it?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 11:40 »
I went into a Dobbies near me the other day to get bedding plants and bulbs for someone.  It was busy enough and lots of people with trolleys of stuff.  There was sanitiser at the door and it felt safe enough to me.

I wanted bagged manure and bark chips for myself, but the cupboard was bare  :(  Just lots of MP pallets parked up everywhere.  I asked one of the guys who work outside if they were getting some and he said 'Hopefully' but with a wry smile.  I have to say the plants all looked nice though and I found a couple of rescue cases in the sale area that I had to have ...  they were such good bargains  ::)  :lol:

xx
Local Elections

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 17:25
by RubyRed
xx
The local waste Tip

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2020, 20:13
by grinling
xx
Local elections

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

14 Replies
Last post May 06, 2023, 15:02
by snowdrops
xx
Local elections

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2021, 18:27
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 39 queries.