leeks

• 1 Replies

rowlandwells

leeks
« on: September 08, 2022, 09:15 »
as i said a short time ago I've been hanging on to plant my leeks now ground has had a drop of rain we decided to plant out our leeks there quite big but never the less we planted them out in a raised bed so I'm not sure if they will produce so I thought i would ask our friends out there what there thoughts where on this topic  have they in your opinion  been planted out to late will they re-grow  they had some good roots on them and we planted them out on a bed of well rotted manure? I also have a second lot of leeks to plant out not so big as the first lot should we plant those out as well any feed back most welcome RW

Kleftiwallah

Re: leeks
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 11:46 »
Good morning rowlandwells,  your leeks should have been in the ground weeks/months ago!  With diminishing light levels I cannot see your leeks doing very well at this late stage at all.

When transplanting leeks I trim the roots by half and the tops by a third,  Plunge a crowbar into the soil about 6" deep pop the leeks in and water in, no need to fill with soil, the water does that.  Once they are growing away I pop kitchen paper tubes strengthend will loo roll tubes and water well.  ours are looking well.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

clip
Leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2017, 11:05
by al78
xx
leeks

Started by waliz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2013, 09:09
by JayG
xx
Leeks

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 01, 2024, 20:16
by mumofstig
xx
my leeks

Started by Vitoria plum on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 12, 2007, 20:20
by new_2_veg

Page created in 1.39 seconds with 30 queries.