leeks

• 5 Replies

waliz

leeks
« on: August 22, 2013, 19:32 »
most of my leeks have a seed head on them .what caused this and how can I cure it :unsure:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: leeks
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 19:56 »
Welcome to the site waliz, I have moved your topic to Grow Your Own.  Hopefully you will get plenty of advice.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 20:21 »
when did you sow/plant them?

Totty

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 21:44 »
Could they have gone short of water during the hot spell? Leeks can often bolt if they dry out in hot conditions.

Totty

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 22:34 »
Once they've bolted (gone to seed) there is no cure. Nip out the seed/flower stalk, unless you want to keep the seed, and leave them to grow. You can still eat them but they'll have a hard core down the middle.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 09:09 »
I would guess that Totty's explanation is the most likely - shortage of water will stress them in hot spells and trigger premature production of flower heads, although any sort of stress can do the same thing.

I had about half of mine bolt 2 years ago, and none last year (and none so far this year.) Same variety, same cultivation method - sometimes the life of a plant is just too complicated for we mere humans to fully understand! :

If you cut off the seeds heads as soon as you see them the stalk in the centre of the leek shouldn't be too tough, although it will be visible. I have no problem eating them as they are, although I suspect some people get their dissection kits out and surgically remove the offending items before cooking!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
what to do with leeks now

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 23:53
by mumofstig
xx
When to sow leeks

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post January 25, 2015, 21:26
by adri123
xx
LEEKS

Started by Jimmy Splash on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 13:32
by Scribbler
xx
Leeks

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 00:58
by Eristic

Page created in 2.115 seconds with 38 queries.