green manures

• 16 Replies

rowlandwells

green manures
« on: August 18, 2022, 08:34 »
I usually grow mustard as a green manure and it does seem to improve the soil however I thought I would give another green manure a try Fenugreen looked worth trying although I've never grew this but its said to increase the humus content? but a bit slower to flower than the mustard ? I'm growing this as a trial on some ground that is low on humus and needs some goodness put back in the ground as its been some time since it had any manure on it

so as I'm not sure how this particular green manure will perform I thought I would ask if anyone has grew this type of green manure and how you rate it any replies most welcome

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: green manures
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 10:37 »
I've grown it.  It is not very leafy and I thought it was a bit thin and wasn't going to put a huge amount of anything back into the soil.

For bulk inputs fodder radish and phacelia are my favourites.  I let them grow quite tall, strim and cover them up to rot, so you don't have the problem of trying to dig in huge leafy plants.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 10:42 »
Absolutely agree on phacelia. Plenty of foliage to keep the weeds at bay and doesn't affect crop rotation.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 12:51 »
Another vote for phacelia from me  :D

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 17:12 »
So about the Phacelia, if planted late September, when do you recommend that it is cut back just to lay on ground and rot in over winter. Should it be covered or not?
I tried growing a couple of years ago, but it didn't seem to grow very high or very thick on the ground. I have quite a heavy clay soil on my allotment on the one side - size about 10 x 3 metres, the other side is not too bad. How much seed for that size?
Perhaps I was a bit shy with the seed, I'm not good at scatter sowing !

Been trying to improve by covering with unrotted stable (horse) manure, but seemed to improve weed growth, and attract rabbits and rats, which loved to dig about in it, even after over wintering and my spuds were eventually planted there, so ended up with quite a few chewed and green spuds where they were uncovered  >:(
Thanks everyone.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 19:45 »
So about the Phacelia, if planted late September, when do you recommend that it is cut back just to lay on ground and rot in over winter. Should it be covered or not?
I tried growing a couple of years ago, but it didn't seem to grow very high or very thick on the ground. I have quite a heavy clay soil on my allotment on the one side - size about 10 x 3 metres, the other side is not too bad. How much seed for that size?
Perhaps I was a bit shy with the seed, I'm not good at scatter sowing !

Been trying to improve by covering with unrotted stable (horse) manure, but seemed to improve weed growth, and attract rabbits and rats, which loved to dig about in it, even after over wintering and my spuds were eventually planted there, so ended up with quite a few chewed and green spuds where they were uncovered  >:(
Thanks everyone.

I left mine to grow all winter last year and it really helped dry out my clay in the spring prior to planting when I cut it down and put it on the compost heap. In a harder winter the frost will kill it, but then I just leave it on top to rot and suppress weeds until spring.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 21:30 »
Nobbie: In a harder winter the frost will kill it, but then I just leave it on top to rot and suppress weeds until spring.
It usually does die back here,  as my plot is frosty, but if we have a mild winter and it's still alive by the end of February, I just strim the bed and leave it to rot where it is. It's usually all gone by the time I need to sow/plant, if not I just rake the bits to one side.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2022, 09:00 »
thanks all for your replies Phacelia seems to be a better option Q. can you spring sow  Phacelia I ask this Q. because I always plough our allotment in late Autumn because I fine the ground breaks down better for spring cultivation so it would be a better option if I could sow Phacelia in the spring rather than Autumn and how long would it be before you can plant after digging or in my case ploughing it in ?

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2022, 08:44 »
still on the subject of green manures another Q. Buckwheat will that improve the soil and can it be set in spring and how long would you say you can re-plant after digging or ploughing it in because we usually grow our squashes on that part of the allotments so can I follow on with squashes ?

and as these green manures are on a trial basis any info will be most important for sowings next year many thanks for your replies to date most helpful RW

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2022, 15:13 »
Have you seen this page Rowland?

There is a down arrow for a when to sow guide just above where the pictures start and you can tick the month you want to sow in.

https://www.sowseeds.co.uk/collections/green-manure-seeds

Phacelia can be spring sown and takes 6-8 weeks to get to flowering size.  The problem would be if you got a cold spring and the seed was held back by soil temperatures.  You might be fine for squash, sweetcorn and crops that go out a bit later, but it could get in the way of earlier sowings.

I’ve never grown buckwheat, but it is grown in mountainous regions to get a grain crop in during a short summer, so I assume it is fast to get going.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 08:47 »
thanks new shoot I picked up on that site and found some info that did help I guess you have noticed I've decided to go with green manures in  a big way because farm manure is getting less available so I'm for green manures as an alternative

I think I mentioned that our ground is lacking humus and needs something to bring the humus back in the ground having been growing on this allotments for some 50 years I need to put back what I've taken out over the years so hopefully green manure will do the trick?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2022, 09:27 »
They do help in my view. 

As you have a tractor, you could look at really bulky crops like field beans or lupins.  Grazing rye is another people usually avoid as it is tough to dig in.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2022, 15:45 »
Im really interested in trying this method.  I live in the south and my plot has a lot of clay which dries to concrete in the hot summer. some areas are worse than others and i have really noticed poor crops in these areas this year. 

As a novice to green manure, does anyone have a particular one to recommend me to try please? I did read the link, but am still a bit confused so thought i would ask the experts (the forumites), for your opinions. thanks.

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2022, 15:50 »
Rowlands just dug some buckwheat in quite easy easier that the mustard I just dug takes about 2 month to go to flower just slightly slower that mustard didn’t give me as much foliage as mustard but the seed wasn’t fresh I pulled it up Kaye’s it down then chopped it with spade then turned it in

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2022, 15:52 »
Goose mustard good grows quick easy to dig in also add some mass and bio fumigat

xx
Green manures

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2008, 14:29
by woodburner
xx
Green Manures.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 20:54
by goodtogrow
xx
Green Manures

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 23:53
by Lardman
xx
green manures

Started by sizer247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 20:18
by sizer247

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 45 queries.