Not enough courgettes!!!

• 6 Replies

Grubbypaws

Not enough courgettes!!!
« on: July 24, 2022, 12:17 »
My courgettes were doing well and threatening the yearly glut situation until the extremely hot weather. Since then they have hardly produced at all with some of the plants producing tiny courgettes which turn yellow and fall of. They did get a bit dry for a few days when I was away before the really high temperatures hit  but since have been well watered and fed. Is there anything that I should be doing to help them get back to producing or do I simply wait for them to stop sulking?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Not enough courgettes!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 12:31 »
Yes, it may take them a while, but be patient  :)

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 13:07 »
Mine are bit slow too. I had one in a large pot at home but was infested with small black mites. As a result I composted it and have 3 more seedlings growing well already.
Hopefully we won’t get more extreme heat.
Keep digging

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 13:14 »
Yes, it may take them a while, but be patient  :)
Should I feed them even though they have no courgettes or should I keep them hungry?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 13:54 »
Half strength, now and again, should be ok.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 14:42 »
My courgettes are exactly the same.  First of all - no courgettes, then - a few courgettes that didn't grow any longer than about three inches, then went yellow and died off.  Much of the original foliage is brown and crackled, but the new foliage is now quite luxuriant.  Despite watering constantly during the excessive heat the plants obviously didn't like the hot, dry air.  Hopefully now it has gone comparatively cooler we might get a crop.

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 19:12 »
I have 6 courgette plants 2 in the greenhouse and 4 outside. One plant in the greenhouse has produced 10 courgettes the other none although there might be one this next week. The ones outside have produced 4 or 5 each. I find that you need quite a few plants to ensure there are enough flowers as you need both male and female flowers in bloom at the same time. One day the plants have all male flowers then the next day all female flowers which is no good for pollination. Also there are very few bees about for good pollination so I have been doing it myself with an artists brush which has worked out well. I feed them every 3 or 4 days with tomorite and they look good healthy plants. No problems with mildew either yet which is unusual, same for cucumbers which are of the same family, probably spoke too soon ;)

xx
Courgettes

Started by James on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 21, 2006, 22:58
by joolee
xx
courgettes

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2007, 12:10
by Aidy
xx
F1 courgettes

Started by kgaskell on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 09, 2016, 08:03
by Swing Swang
xx
big courgettes lol

Started by Callie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 13:06
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 32 queries.