Harvesting potatoes

• 21 Replies

AnneB

Re: Harvesting potatoes
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2022, 13:05 »
My potatoes are behaving rather oddly this year.
The Sharpe's Express I have in potato bags are still growing vigorously, haven't flowered yet and aren't ready.

The potatoes in the ground are much shorter and also haven't flowered.
The Maris Bard foliage is dying back but the tubers are underdeveloped.
Kestrel not dying back yet much shorter than they should be, as are the maincrop Ratte.
All have been well watered.  Grown in our home made compost in the bags.
Those in the ground in soil, manured last autumn and  topped up with same compost as in the bags before planting.

I might put it down to variety.  Not grown Maris Bard before but someone on our site had good results with it last year.

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2022, 11:57 »
I'm now considering digging up our Pentland Javelin and storing them, as the halms have all but gone now...

There is still some residual moisture in the ground, but not much, so maybe I'll wait a week and see what occurs!

Decisions decisions...

LILLILEAF

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2022, 16:27 »
I have grown setanta potaoes also, they make the best roast, chips and mash such a great flavour.
i have had to keep mine in the green house because of the high winds and it damages the foliage so badly,the greenhouse is fully open.Watering every day with this hot weather.
i did plant mine in march so they are looking a bit worse for ware, hopefully i will get a good crop when i harvest them, they are in 40l tubs as i cannot dig the ground,older age is a bummer :lol:.Lillileaf

Grubbypaws

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2022, 11:08 »
I'm now considering digging up our Pentland Javelin and storing them, as the halms have all but gone now...

There is still some residual moisture in the ground, but not much, so maybe I'll wait a week and see what occurs!

Decisions decisions...
One of the positive points for Pentland Javelin is that 'they can be left in the ground to mature further'. Not this year as all the haulms have gone. Ditto Jazzy which are meant to store well in the ground for several months. 'They effectively turn into maincrop potatoes  whilst still tasting very good'. Nope, all the haulms have gone. I am overwhelmed by all the potatoes being done at the same time. I am not sure what to do. Tempted just to leave them in the containers and dig them up as needed. Would this be an OK thing to do or should I dig them all up and find somewhere to store them?  :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2022, 18:06 »
I don't have anywhere suitable to store spuds out of the ground. So I always leave my Charlottes in the ground until I'm ready to harvest them ... months later!!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2022, 05:44 »

Decisions decisions...
One of the positive points for Pentland Javelin is that 'they can be left in the ground to mature further'. Not this year as all the haulms have gone. Ditto Jazzy which are meant to store well in the ground for several months. 'They effectively turn into maincrop potatoes  whilst still tasting very good'. Nope, all the haulms have gone. I am overwhelmed by all the potatoes being done at the same time. I am not sure what to do. Tempted just to leave them in the containers and dig them up as needed. Would this be an OK thing to do or should I dig them all up and find somewhere to store them?  :ohmy:

By chance, I met an old chum - a very experienced gardener from our allotment days - and he suggested that they should come out now, as the haulms have died down and if it rains (?), there'll be mud everywhere, but at the moment, they're completely dry! He was doing his yesterday!

So he's made my mind up, and they'll come out today, and will be stored in debris netting bags, thoughtfully made by Mrs Growster all those seasons ago...

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2022, 16:40 »
My pentland javelins also died off, I harvested them all as the slugs will eat them otherwise. Was an ok crop, yukon golds far outperformed them and taste better too.

xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by BLOOMING LOVELY on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 14:14
by Vit
xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 18:38
by sunshineband
xx
Harvesting potatoes

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 11, 2008, 13:06
by purplebean
xx
harvesting potatoes

Started by Charityuk on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 21:03
by AlaninCarlisle

Page created in 1.828 seconds with 37 queries.