Tomorite et al.

• 15 Replies

Kleftiwallah

Tomorite et al.
« on: June 12, 2022, 13:54 »
Hello everyone,  what other crops can take advantage of a dose of Tomorite (other plant foods are available)?

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

lettice

Re: Tomorite et al.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2022, 15:09 »
Yes.
I've used Tomorite for years and give my Strawberries, bush fruit and Cucumbers a feed from it.
All using the same dilute it mentions.
Had no effects and all do well with it.

It also says you can on the containers and on their website, where it mentions;
It is ideal for tomatoes, vegetables and flowering pot plants. Can also be used with other crops such as peppers and aubergines.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2022, 15:42 »
Thanks lettice,  I have a large Tomorite container into which I decant fresh bought Tomorite.  the trouble is the label bleached and fell off quite some time ago.  Cheers,  Tony.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 15:51 »
General purpose liquid fertilisers are usually quite high in nitrogen, which is good for foliage plants and crops as it encourages strong leafy growth.

Not so good for flowering plants and crops as you want to encourage flowers rather than leaves, which is why tomato fertilisers are relatively low in nitrogen and high in potassium.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2022, 08:13 »
Hello everyone,  what other crops can take advantage of a dose of Tomorite (other plant foods are available)?

Cheers,  Tony.
I've got strawberries in pots - they seem to like it. Also use it on peppers once a week from when flowering starts.
CW

geordiekev

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 12:21 »
I just use my own homemade Comfrey tea, and have done for more than 10 years. Not bought any Tomorite et al, since then. Quite frankly I use it on everything that flowers or fruits. It stinks but boy don't the plants just love it! My comfrey patch is quite massive I easily have more plants that I will use, sow I strim a part of the patch, put it on my compost heap, that will quickly grow again, and carry on doing that after I have made 4 large containers of the stuff. My mixture lasts me until the next season. I use a very mild mixture as a general pick me up for plants until they can be put outside. The bees absolutely love flowering comfrey.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 22:49 »
Geordiekev, should you use comfrey tea only once the plants have flowered, or is it ok to use it before then? I have some puny aubergine plants I’d like to help along. They are nowhere near flowering yet. Ditto the french beans.

geordiekev

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 07:20 »
It is like a tonic, a very mixture will help as a "pick me up". When my young plants are still in the greenhouse they have almost exhausted their nutrients, so I just give them a weak mixture (half a pint or less, in a gallon watering can) stand them in trays and water from the bottom. This week I shall be starting to feed my shallots, courgettes and pumpkins. I have already started feeding my sweet peas, toms, peppers and cucumbers. Roughly 1 pint per watering can and i feed every week. I do not use anything else to feed plants as opposed to feeding the soil. It works for me.

cc

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 14:04 »
I don't use it anymore (comfrey now). I checked the label and compared it with a Wilko tomato feed and it was near enough identical. Significant difference in price. I might be different now worth checking though.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2022, 22:19 »
Thanks geordiekev, that’s how I used it too. I’ve read in some places that they only use it after the plant ( that’s being watered with the comfrey tea, not the comfrey) has flowered so I was wondering about that. cc, I don’t understand your comment  about prices, as comfrey tea is homemade from plants that grow on the allotment, it’s free.

geordiekev

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 07:28 »
I tend to just pick leaves scrunch them up and put in a 10 gallon container seal and stand in the sunlight. I will (have just) strim part of my patch and use as an accelerator on my compost heap. tend avoid taking flowers leaving that to the bees. However I have never ever used comfrey leaves or stems as a bed for my potatoes to grow on. When I plant my potatoes end of march the comfrey is only a few inches high. Don't know where that advice came from.

AnneB

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 07:37 »
I tend to just pick leaves scrunch them up and put in a 10 gallon container seal and stand in the sunlight. I will (have just) strim part of my patch and use as an accelerator on my compost heap. tend avoid taking flowers leaving that to the bees. However I have never ever used comfrey leaves or stems as a bed for my potatoes to grow on. When I plant my potatoes end of march the comfrey is only a few inches high. Don't know where that advice came from.
I put comfrey down the middle of 2 rows of potatoes as they grow and the comfrey is ready.  It rots down quite quickly and gives the soil a boost.
I also make comfrey tea in a similar way to you.  I cram a load of it into an orange onion storage bag, tie it up, put it into a barrel with a tap at the bottom and fill with water.  After a few weeks it is ready to use with no further dilution.

cc

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 12:54 »
Thanks geordiekev, that’s how I used it too. I’ve read in some places that they only use it after the plant ( that’s being watered with the comfrey tea, not the comfrey) has flowered so I was wondering about that. cc, I don’t understand your comment  about prices, as comfrey tea is homemade from plants that grow on the allotment, it’s free.
Referring to tomorite v Wilko's version and that do use it anymore as I have comfrey tea. Not very well written.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 12:57 by cc »

missmoneypenny

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 21:19 »
Thanks for clarifying cc!

cc

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 15:23 »
Thanks lettice,  I have a large Tomorite container into which I decant fresh bought Tomorite.  the trouble is the label bleached and fell off quite some time ago.  Cheers,  Tony.
How big?
How much?
How much did it cost?
Thank you for your very valuable time cc

xx
Quite a lot of Tomorite...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

37 Replies
Last post June 18, 2015, 09:44
by Hampshire Hog
xx
tomorite

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2007, 14:58
by shaun
xx
Tomato feed/Tomorite

Started by victoria_plum on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 01:34
by viettaclark
xx
Tomorite - beans and courgettes too??

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 15:42
by Jay Dubya

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 43 queries.