Trouble in Brussells

• 3 Replies

anchorman

Trouble in Brussells
« on: May 27, 2022, 13:42 »
Hello all, it's  been a while.
I think I finally cracked the problem of growing Brassicas from seed into healthy plants. Too wet was the cause.
However, I've got a problem with young Brussells sprouts. Doric and Brodie. They were planted on the plot a few weeks ago and were doing fine. The lower leaves are green and healthy and the plants rapidly established. However  new leaves higher up and growing from the centre are curling up  and have developed purple edges. Also there is what looks like black deposits on the undersides and in the joints between stem and leaf. It's easily dislodged but something is going very wrong.
The ground has been well fed and limed prior to planting  fish blood and bonemeal applied.
The soil pH us now around 6 so I've scattered a bit more lime around the plants to raise pH a bit more.
All this started when the plants reached about 10 inches high and all the plants under the Sprout cage are affected.
I've given them a spray with Resolver  in the hope it's a fungus of some sort, and a liquid feed high in Nitrogen.
Any advice is appreciated
Thanks.

Hampshire Hog

Re: Trouble in Brussells
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 18:45 »
Have you seen any whiteflies? Cabbage whitefly can result in a black deposit on leaves which sounds similar to your description. Good luck HH
Keep digging

anchorman

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 01:30 »
Thanks HH. Yes, there are a few but usually I see them later. It's the new leaf distortion and blueish tinge that's worrying me. I just hope it's not club root. We don't seem to suffer that on our plots...YET!  Fortunately I have more in a cold frame coming along which I could plant in another space. I'm disappointed tho' it's taken me years to cultivate really good brassicas from seed and now  something is causing trouble in brussells.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 11:37 »
The blue/purple tinge could be a sign of cabbage root fly, and affected plants will often wilt & collapse eventually because their roots are being eaten away. If you lift a plant and find small white maggots eating into the roots that would confirm it. 

G&R
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 12:43 by Gardener and Rabbit »

xx
Brussells buds are not tight

Started by 4hens on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 18:15
by gobs
clip
Brussells sprouts diseases

Started by liam affley on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 17:48
by JoshP
xx
Brussells Sprouts blowing off already. Paaarp!

Started by clairebeau on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 07:29
by DD.
xx
brussells sprouts, broccoli going to seed; want to get crop

Started by happyhortic on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 16:28
by gobs

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 27 queries.