brussells sprouts, broccoli going to seed; want to get crop

• 5 Replies

happyhortic

Hi! We planted brussels sprouts and broccoli from seeds jun 30th '07. Many are still alive. I have cut off the flowers, but I want to see if we can get a harvest this year. Live in Pac NW. Is this possible? As plants are fairly ugly by now, can much of them be cut off? (Didn't get good crop last yr)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:47 »
Can you help us with your location?

I assumed that 'Pac NW' referred to a town & state in the US, but can't see NW as a state abbreviation. (Doesn't mean it isn't though, could just be me!).

Your IP address places you in Washington, is this correct? If so it's slightly further south than the UK & I wonder if you were a little late in sowing?

In any case you will need to take out the old plants & set new ones, (in a different position).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:14 »
my psb and nine star perennial broc has run to seed and I've not eaten any of it as I've not been plotting. I'm going to cut the 9 star back a bit and see if it will yield anything useful.  I've already composted the psb  :(
Seems such a pity to plant stuff then miss out on it.  I hate work, it puts such a crimp on my plans  :twisted:

flowerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 12:23 »
Well at least the sky rats didn't get it CQ!

Happyhortic be sure to protect your plants if you are going to try to save them ... the 'rats' use them for perches and peck them to bits!  :twisted:
"He who plants a garden plants happiness"

fluffybunny

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 12:54 »
Quote from: "DD."
I assumed that 'Pac NW' referred to a town & state in the US, but can't see NW as a state abbreviation. (Doesn't mean it isn't though, could just be me!).

I'm guessing Pacific North West, i.e. somwhere around Washington state??

gobs

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 16:28 »
Yes, but the Pacific NW is huge though, even Washington I'd guess will have a range of climates, depending on mountainous, or coastal area, etc.

Anyhow, these are cool season crops, which get easily ruined and run to seed by hot weather, regular, well timed picking is also important.

You shall not get any of these now, lose them. Dpending on your location and variety - time to mature - time your sowing so plants mature in cool season.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

clip
Brussells sprouts diseases

Started by liam affley on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2020, 17:48
by JoshP
xx
Brussells Sprouts blowing off already. Paaarp!

Started by clairebeau on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 07:29
by DD.
xx
sprouts and broccoli

Started by Craigx on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 26, 2013, 15:46
by Christine
xx
Broccoli,Sprouts,Cauliflower

Started by Jeni on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 00:42
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.956 seconds with 36 queries.