How do I plant fruit bushes?

• 2 Replies

Dominic

« on: February 21, 2008, 14:29 »
This will probably sound completely stupid but bear with me.

I get the 29th off work as a green day, I have to do something to green up my life, and we are allowed to spend it starting growing vegetables.

Being, encouragable, I ordered 7 fruit bushes, blackberry, 2 blackcurrent, blueberry, redcurrent, gooseberry and loganberry.

Its suddenly occured to me that I'm not entirely sure how to plant these things.
I thought they'd be fine with about a metre square each and some nice early morning sun, but have read they need a lot more space and a lot more sun.

Could anyone point me in the right direction?
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 15:14 »
Most of them should be okay in about a meter each, but they really do need as much sun as they can get, more than some morning sun will give, but I've seen them survive in less, just not as productive as they might be in full sun.
The blueberry, however, needs very acidic soil to survive and you'll have to amend it with lots of eracious compost, pine needles, sulphur powder and such. The blackberry might eventually get out of control with suckering - depends on the variety.
And 1 loganberry won't have a pollinator, same with the blackberry, blueberry, red currant, gooseberry and loganberry. They all need a 2nd plant. Blueberry needs a different variety which pollinates at the same time so you'll need to ask your garden supplier about these.  Possibly someone close to where you're planting might have similar plants?
Soil amended well with some compost and old manure will give them all a good start - and free of weeds.

Dominic

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 16:34 »
I think I may be ok with some of the polinators, I'm lucky enough to have a next door neighour with a few of them gone wild, I also back onto an overgrown field with some, and am quite near a river woodland too.
Might be stuck on the stranger varieties though, oh well, who knows, maybe something will cross pollinate them.

Might have to consider shifting some of them into the back rather than the front garden

xx
Best time to re-plant fruit bushes?

Started by The Ramblers on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 23, 2007, 12:32
by muntjac
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit bushes

Started by drizabone on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 18, 2008, 16:26
by DANNY
xx
new fruit bushes

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 10:27
by Yorkshire Lass

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 27 queries.