Neighbours impacting my enjoyment of plot

• 21 Replies

missmoneypenny

Neighbours impacting my enjoyment of plot
« on: May 17, 2022, 18:17 »
 This Isn’t lighthearted, so apologies but I need to get my feelings out and the plot isn’t a safe space anymore. I am sure this is not an uncommon scenario.
New plot neighbours have moved in. Obvious they had plans  for it to be a recreational space with lots of structures, sheds etc. Veg growing, not so much.  Each to their own, however…
I’ll try and keep it brief,  some of the actions which have impacted me are:
Erecting arches ( shade generation)
Planting conifers- small now but obviously have the potential to cast shade as they grow
Putting up a fountain- constant water tinkling noise
Wind powered electricity generator- makes a noise as it rotates
Being at the plot pretty much all the time, drilling to erect more structures
Keeping their car engine running throughout as pets are in the car and they want the air con on- my plot is quite close to the parking area
As I write this I truly don’t know if I sound petty. I have spoken to them about the 1st point and they did move the arches further away from my plot. I don’t want to feel I have to address every single issue, it is quite wearing. I’ve had the plot for 11 years, I’m starting to dread going there for the first time ever.
Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks in advance

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Neighbours impacting my enjoyment of plot
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 18:24 »
Sorry to hear about that. I think my starting point would be what the tenancy agreement says about structures, trees, and nuisance to neighbours. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wighty

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 19:54 »
All I can say is how annoying.  Can you appeal to the Council or the Committee that run your plot to intervene?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 19:58 »
I obviously don't know about your terms & conditions, but our rules say we can't plant conifers

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 08:50 »
Sounds very unpleasant.  We have strict rules on what can and can't be planted/erected on our plots and they are enforced.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 09:03 »
Inconsiderate neighbours are soul destroying. If you've asked them to be a little more aware that they're having a negative impact on your plot and they've ignored you, then like others have suggested I'd turn to the rule book and start making a list of infractions.  Why on earth plant conifers ?

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 09:24 »
This sounds terrible. Clearly you can’t be too vocal in your complaints or they might be particularly unpleasant. The regulations are the obvious route but I would try to ensure any complaints didn’t cite you as the main complainant. If all else fails is there scope to move to a plot far away from them when another plot holder gives up. I know that would be a real pain if you have cultivated the plot for years but might be better than dreading visiting your plot. Good luck HH
Keep digging

missmoneypenny

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 10:58 »
Thanks guys it’s good to have other peoples feedback and feel I’m not being unreasonable. I found the tenancy agreement, it is mostly about refuse disposal, not encroaching on paths  and makes no specifications about what you can or can’t plant. It does say you must not be a bother to other users, but it’s that general. I will see if the contractors email me back if not I’ll contact the council.

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 11:17 »
Anything in there about how much land / what percentage should be under cultivation ?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 15:49 »
Anything in there about how much land / what percentage should be under cultivation ?

i.e.  Food cultivation

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 18:30 »
Our tenancy agreements states that the majority of the plot must be used to grow vegetables and fruit, with a small percentage allowed for flowers. A small wildlife pond is acceptable. Permission must asked for if one wants a shed. No leisure spaces (lawns) are allowed.
Fruit trees may be planted, again with permission and only if they won't impact any other plots and must not be sited where they would be detrimental to the use of the plot by a future tenant.
As others have said, check what the tenancy rules and regulations are, and report to the council if need be.

rowlandwells

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 22:27 »
this is subject I'm most concerned about turning allotments into theme parks allotments are primarily for growing vegetables although times change and it is acceptable for some changes like mixing flowers with veg in moderation

we have strict  rules about planting fruit  trees on the plots but that ha been some relaxation  but very limited planting and small varieties also no sheds aloud but they have given consent for small poly tunnels on plots

I was really annoyed when they let one plot for a so called nature plot that was left to its own devices when the people concerned decided to pack up the plot and its still not let despite a waiting list for allotments

but I have to say most of the new tenant's are using the plots more for relaxation than growing but again they are being kept tidy and some are trying to grow veg so no conifers no arches no sheds dogs on leads no structures at all only a sun canopy or sun umbrella is acceptable

and I will be the first to bring any infringements of the terms and conditions to the landlord the parish council's  attention I'm not a kill joy but allotments where and still are to me are for growing fresh veg if you want to build structures or a theme park go and build it on the reservation of the M6 and not on our allotments  :mad:

jezza

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 07:30 »
Hello as I understand the allotment regulations there are to be no structures unless supporting soft fruit or for their protection a small storage shed is permitted,under the 1886 allotment act each house hold is allotted a piece of land 7 rods 1perch long by 3rodd 1 perch long for the growing of vegetables and fruit to supplement the family food requirements a swine may be kept poultry may be kept with the discretion of the borough allotment officer,as far as I know these are still in force today ,,measurements have changed  slightly  jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 18:07 »
I cannot find an Allotments Act 1886 on the legislation.gov.uk website, nor can I find any such text in any of the national allotments acts listed on that site, from any year. I have my doubts that that text still applies in England and Wales (if it ever did).

AnneB

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 23:24 »
We try and be as flexible as possible.
We have a number of tenants who were born in Eastern Europe. Here there is a tradition of allotment gardens where space is devoted to veg, fruit and flowers, but also recreational space, such as a small lawn and so on.
We don't allow fruit trees not on dwarf rooting stock, sheds that shade other plots, radios must have headphones, hedges below 5' in height and you must not cause a nuisance to neighbours  That's pretty much it and we get by..
I think causing a nuisance to others is where you have grounds for complaint 

xx
New Neighbours

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post March 29, 2020, 12:49
by mrs bouquet
xx
Last week of Neighbours on TV

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post July 30, 2022, 14:11
by MrsPea
xx
Has the BBC lost the plot?

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post April 12, 2021, 22:01
by al78
xx
Plot Etiquette

Started by theplotbegins on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 17, 2018, 09:32
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 45 queries.