feeding chickens

• 15 Replies

upthetump

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:29 »
hi all, I know this is going to be a daft question but , here goes. At the moment I am preparing to get my own chickens. This entails daily trips to the plot. As I pass other plots with chickens already there, the birds come running to the fences as if they are looking for food. When one of them pick up something not edible they all fight over it. Now all these birds are owned by the old timers and they are all behaving the same way. It looks as if they have made a conscious decision NOT to feed them. Is this normal? Thanks in anticipation for your help.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
feeding chickens
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 10:42 »
This is normal behaviour for chickens !

My hens have feed available to them all the time, but they still come running as the slightest movement from me. Even if I'm still indoors and they can see me through the window  :roll:

ck2day

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 10:44 »
I'm sure my chickens view anything on 2 legs that moves as feed machine. Mine appear out of the woodwork so to speak at the first sign of me or the kids, even if I only have a cuppa in my hand.

I do feed them honestly!

Viv

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.oldmotherhubbardsgarden.blogspot.com
feeding chickens
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 11:13 »
As soon as the chooks see me its light the charge of the light brigade, wo betide any thing or anybody that gets in their way. They are extremely well fed, in fact they are spoilt, they have just had a bowl of fruit and some yoghurt as a little treat. :D  :roll:
Happiest in the countryside.
Breathe deeply, and let the butterflies fly in formation!

ck2day

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 11:17 »
Not heard of yoghurt before, how much and how often?

Viv

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 11:21 »
I had a pot that was just out of its use by so I thought i'd see if they liked it. Well :!: they couldn't get enough of it and as I was leaving 14 chooks and one Rooster all had white beaks.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 12:03 »
hmmm. I asked because when I normally pass they dont even look. Their pens are down to bare earth and they look starving. I was wondering if it some method the old guys used during winter. Thing is, if you asked them they wouldnt tell you anyway. So  to get to my point, do chickens need feeding during winter? ( i know it sounds thick  :roll:  but I'm getting mine in 2 weeks and i dont want to kill em by not feeding them) ps anyone know of any ex battery hen sellers in south wales TA!

Viv

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 12:21 »
Yes, they do need feeding, especially if they are in an enclosed area. Mine are free range, but I give them approximately 3lb of layers mash every day first thing in the morning when I let them out. I have 14 chickens and 1 Cock that are free range. The food goes in a large metal lidded feeder that allows food to drop to the trough as the hens eat.
I also provide fresh water every day for them. I would be very concerned if these hens are on barren ground with no food :cry: Are you sure that they are not being fed :?:
Certainly in the summer they will not need as much as they will find insects and bugs on the land to eat.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:26 »
thanks Viv, I cant be 100% sure but their behaviour is very different to normal. I dont want to point it out to the boys as they might take offence. I wanted to find out if they needed feeding as I am a complete dunce with no experience. When I go up tomorrow, what if i throw some bread in to see what happens?

Viv

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 12:31 »
Trouble is I've never seen a hen that leaves food, maybe some of the others will be able to give you some advice on what you should do. Do they look healthy?

upthetump

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 12:35 »
my mate who kept chickens years ago says that they are not laying because their crop is virtually non existent and 1 or 2 are a bit sluggish. The others run to the fence quick enough though. I dont know, perhaps I should leave the old fellers to it?

jammy

feeding chickens
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 12:39 »
If you throw some bread in tomorrow they will no doubt eat it ravenously regardless of whether they are being fed regularly or not  :lol: Chickens are just greedy!  
It may be that these chickens have food in their house - I keep my food in the house to stop it getting wet and discourage vermin.
It may just be that now the chickens have got used to seeing you regularly go by and they now think you may be a source of food but if you really are worried then maybe you could ask the owners indirectly by telling them you are thinking of getting chickens and asking what they feed their own perhaps?

upthetump

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 12:49 »
Hi Jammy, good point, one of them is the lottie sec and i need to see him today so i'll try to pick his brains. thanks

Viv

• Experienced Member
feeding chickens
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 13:24 »
Let us know what happens, hopefully you'll find that they are really well looked after and that the owners will take you under their wing and help you with your new ladies :D

poultrygeist

feeding chickens
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 13:45 »
By the same token, if you throw some corn down, they'll run to it and peck away until you throw another handful, which then becomes teh focus of attention.
It's anything new or the promise thereof.

It would seem unlikely (hopefully) that they all stop feeding them, which would be considered cruelty and would, i imagine, be a prosecutable offence. Hopefully it's just that they're bored of pecking and scratching and you're irresistable to them !!  :wink:

Don't ever stop feeding yours when you get them, whatever you may be advised there. They are eatign machines like any other animal. But at least you get eggs in return, unlike cats and dogs !

Rob

xx
feeding my new chickens

Started by Brenda Babes on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 10:53
by Sassy
xx
feeding greens to chickens

Started by johnfh on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2011, 21:07
by OpiumEater
xx
Feeding meat to chickens

Started by SOURIS on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2007, 21:42
by muntjac
xx
Feeding fish to chickens

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2011, 21:03
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 31 queries.