Gardening by the moon.

• 13 Replies

Rob the rake

Gardening by the moon.
« on: April 10, 2022, 01:30 »
It's easy to dismiss this as woo-woo, but bear in mind that our forbears (without the presence of modern-day distractions) learned how to plant by the moon through a process of patient observation over thousands of years.

I guess it's been about 15 years or so since I opted to give it a go and I've never looked back. Sowings and plantings carried out at the recommended times do appreciably better. Crops harvested at the right time keep for longer too and in better condition, believe it or not. If your plot is big enough it would be possible to do a side-by-side comparison as a tentative experiment. Don't just take my word for it, though; have a go! Yields can be increased by as much as a third, just by sowing and planting at the recommended times.

Here's the site I'm currently using: https://mooncalendar.astro-seek.com/gardening-moon-calendar-guide-april-2022
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Gardening by the moon.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 09:09 »
It's always interesting when people advise this method, but I prefer to sow/plant when local weather/soil conditions seem beneficial, rather than by a calendar date.
Each to their own, and if you feel it works for you, keep at it  :)

cc

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 10:43 »
I thought you were bonkers suggesting people should go out in the dark to plant seeds. But on using the link it turns out its not about night time planting. I still think you are bonkers but not as bonkers as I originally thought!!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 14:04 »
Lunar cycles were a good option back when nothing else was available, and I know a lot of people still swear by that method. I'm glad it works for you.

As for myself, I stick with calendars, including agricultural ones (last frost dates, etc.) and weather forecasts. Sometimes I'll play roulette and buck the forecasting, sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 20:09 »
Living in the NW of the UK I tend to do what the weather says by touch and feel, If i see the moon at night its going to be frosty, if not it may be frosty, otherwise we will have a frost.
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

Rob the rake

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 01:42 »
Don't get me wrong; I don't slavishly stick to the recommended dates despite changing conditions. It's easier to follow the schedule where indoor sowings are involved and if the weather's pants at the recommended sowing/transplanting time outdoors I'm happy to wait a few weeks for the next time slot, potting on where necessary to avoid any checks to growth. The results speak for themselves. If an experiment produces positive results in a repeatable way there's no longer any question whether it works or not.

geordiekev

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 06:49 »
Unfortunately I do not see how the moon can influence the growth or germination of plants or seeds. Rather like Astrology, for those who believe in it fine. For me I prefer the good old weather forecast. If it is going to be cold protect plants, and germinate seeds using heat indoors. The rest is all just nonsense as far as I am concerned.

Rob the rake

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 17:36 »
Unfortunately I do not see how the moon can influence the growth or germination of plants or seeds. Rather like Astrology, for those who believe in it fine. For me I prefer the good old weather forecast. If it is going to be cold protect plants, and germinate seeds using heat indoors. The rest is all just nonsense as far as I am concerned.

The moon's effect on tides effectively shifts trillions of tons of water every day; the moon pulls the oceans around as easily as we pull up a duvet. Plants are mostly water and to believe that the moon has no effect on that water is bonkers. The moon's effects on human beings - also mostly composed of water - is well known. Ask any policeman whether the full moon has an effect on human activity and he/she will reel off a string of anecdotes about lunatic happenings and behaviours; they detest working at these times. The strength of the moon's effects varies throughout the lunar cycle, so one would expect its effects on plant physiology to vary during that period, too.

I've been studying the effects of moon planting for long enough to know for sure that it's fact, not unprovable theory or mystical weirdness.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 20:51 by Rob the rake »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 18:00 »
I've been studying the effects of moon planting for long enough to know for sure that it's fact, not unprovable theory or mystical weirdness.

I’d be very interested to know what controls you have included in your study.

Rob the rake

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 20:50 »

I’d be very interested to know what controls you have included in your study.

For the first few years I did a side-by-side comparison, sowing and planting various crops according to my usual regime and sowing/planting by moon calendar times using the same seeds/methods. Both would be planted in the same beds, although the times when each were fed, watered and harvested differed for obvious reasons.

Seeds sown by the moon had better percentage germination and subsequent growth. Crop yield was almost invariably better - for example, a crop of Linzer Delikatess potatoes exhibited huge yields, some roots having more than 60 potatoes, compared to the more usual 30 or so from the rows planted at my regular time at/around the beginning of April. Each crop received the same amount and type of fertiliser and was planted in the same bed.

Plants sown by the moon calendar were often visibly healthier and suffered less from disease and pests, too.

Once I was convinced of the efficacy of the method all my production was switched to the same calendar.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 21:53 »
Interesting.

I can’t help but think though, that if there was value to the theory, that the RHS would have some trial information on their web site.

This is all I can find RHS info

Rob the rake

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2022, 22:29 »
Interesting.

I can’t help but think though, that if there was value to the theory, that the RHS would have some trial information on their web site.

This is all I can find RHS info

Aren't the RHS a bit too po-faced to be dabbling in the "dark arts?"  ;)

Whilst I'm here, might I add that my allotmenteering neighbour was so impressed by the results that she's now a convert, too, and enjoys similar benefits.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2022, 22:35 by Rob the rake »

missmoneypenny

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 22:01 »
I remember giving this a go a while back, but life got in the way and the planting went awry. Thanks for posting the schedule, I’ll try planting beetroot and radishes tomorrow. Can you recommend a free to access website for the schedules?

Rob the rake

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2022, 00:09 »
I remember giving this a go a while back, but life got in the way and the planting went awry. Thanks for posting the schedule, I’ll try planting beetroot and radishes tomorrow. Can you recommend a free to access website for the schedules?

Apologies for the late reply - been a bit busy on the plot and too knackered to be computering.  :D

The link in my original post should take you to the site I use, which has a full sowing schedule for the year. Good luck!

xx
Gardening by the Moon

Started by The Singing Gardener on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 22, 2008, 21:13
by Aunt Sally
clip
Over the moon

Started by ches on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2019, 08:44
by ches
xx
Moon planting

Started by devonbarmygardener on Grow Your Own

61 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 20:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
Growing by the moon.

Started by Clampit on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 09:03
by Aidy

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 44 queries.