Feeding leeks

• 7 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Feeding leeks
« on: February 14, 2022, 13:25 »
I have been trying without success to grow decent leeks for quite a long time. I always used to dib holes in the bed and pop the leek plants in, water them and then apart from keeping weed free, leave them alone…I always had a decent harvest, but always quite thin. This year I tried the multi sowing method - growing them in groups of about 5 leeks , just placed into the compost. They grew pretty well, but again very thin - not much thicker than a good sized spring onion. I start them off in March and plant out in June normally. I just read someone mentioning feeding the leeks ( I did put comfrey tea on them a couple of times this summer but other than that no feed). Do you think that feed is the reason why I never have a decent thickness on them? If so, what is the best type of feed to use? Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Feeding leeks
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2022, 13:38 »
I sprinkle some chicken manure pellets down the dibbed hole, and water it in, before I drop the leeks in, and then do hoe some more in midsummer. Remember to continue to water them well in a dry year.
As well as feeding them at planting/during the year,  it might be a good idea to improve the planting position with some manure/compost beforehand.

comfreykid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2022, 14:11 »
I let mine get to the thickness of a pencil before dibbing them in to their final growing site.
I mulch the site with an inch or so of compost before dibbing and feed a couple of times with comfrey tea to help them on their way.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2022, 14:18 »
Our good pal here, DD, (Digger Dave), has a fool-proof method for leeks which I now use with great results!

Sow them a bit earlier (like now), in a seed tray, wait until you can transplant the biro-refill size seedlings in a deep box, like a cat litter tray with drainage holes, with a bit of space for each leek then stand back!

Dibble and feed the hole as Mum says, and feed every week with comfrey and nettle tea if you have it, and keep watering if it's dry everywhere.

Plenty of old manure on the bed the year before is a good move, but that may be too late for your crop this year! And if you want a late leek, like we do here, just check the seeds to make sure they'll stand the winter and get into March - they should do!

Best of luck anyway, leeks are such a rewarding crop, and are such a welcome veg during the winter months

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 14:24 »

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 18:15 »
Thanks to everyone for their replies - very useful thank you !

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2022, 10:28 »
would you say that leeks could benefit from a nitrogen based feed?  :unsure:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 18:26 »
Yes, when in growing season but not too late - they are leafy vegetables, and nitrogen is aimed at leaves
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
feeding leeks

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 13:13
by Goosegirl
xx
feeding leeks

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2013, 09:19
by JayG
xx
Feeding leeks

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2013, 16:07
by Goosegirl
xx
Feeding winter leeks

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 01, 2013, 10:47
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 37 queries.