Feeding winter leeks

• 2 Replies

Grubbypaws

Feeding winter leeks
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:06 »
I am growing winter leeks in containers. I have been  feeding once a week with full strength plant food. My book says to feed from the end of June onwards but it is referring mostly to plants harvested and shown in September. Do I keep feeding until I harvest them over the winter?

I am thoroughly enjoying the idea of using my plot over the winter months this year but there is so much that I dont know  :unsure:

I have a bed where claytonia, land cress and mibuna have just germinated. I have grown none of them before. How exciting is that  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Feeding winter leeks
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:14 »
They won't grow much once the days become really short and the temperatures drop, although they will still bulk up slowly in milder spells.

Tailor the feeding accordingly, starting with halving the strength - I think that even in containers feeding more than once a month would be a waste of money after around the end of September, although they will need to be kept watered of course.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

Re: Feeding winter leeks
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:47 »
I echo JayG. Too much feeding now may result in growth that could potentially be more susceptible to disease - not sure about that, but does with some other plants.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
feeding leeks

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2013, 09:19
by JayG
xx
feeding leeks

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 13:13
by Goosegirl
xx
Feeding leeks

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 15, 2022, 18:26
by Yorkie
xx
Feeding leeks

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2013, 16:07
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.65 seconds with 37 queries.