Blight - do you actually get less in a Polytunnel or Greenhouse?

• 6 Replies

OakR

Hello

Question as above really - lots of us have suffered more than normal with blight this year, and for me tomatoes are my main crop. I've always grown them outdoors and they have been ok with with blight coming so early this year am debating what to do next year.

Does anyone grow some indoor and out, same varieties, and see a difference?

Thanks

Al

Growster...

We grow 'Sungold', 'Shirley' and 'San Marzano' this year, and in three distinct locations, including the GH. I grow them all in pots and trays with soil and new compost.

One location is well shaded this year, and has a poor yield, whereas last year it was just prolific! Another spot is against a white conservatory wall and they're doing what they normally do, with a slightly reduced yield, and finally, the GH toms (19 plants), are about average too, whereas in the past they rocket away!

So to answer your question, try a mixture of all types in different locations if you can, but don't really expect to bet on them being the same each year! I managed to keep blight at bay one year, by chopping every suspect bit out as soon as I saw it, but that's not possible if you're at work all day of course, but, I think a GH/PT set may be slightly safer, simply because it's enclosed!

Nobbie

I grow tomatoes in the greenhouse each year and have only once got blight in there, whereas whenever I try them outside they inevitable get blight. I suspect there is something about having shelter which inhibits the development of blight, possibly something to do with humidity.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Some chance of getting blight in a polytunnel, as, IMO they are difficult to ventilate adequately, so tend to have a moist atmosphere.
Much less chance of getting it in a greenhouse, although I have got it in mine this year  :ohmy: Only the second time in all my gardening years, IIRC.

Plot94

I grow in both polytunnel & greenhouse as well as outside. Only ever had blight once in the greenhouse many years ago, never in the polytunnel and almost always outside. In fact I may give up on outside ones as they very rarely get to ripen before the blight hits.

With the greenhouse and polytunnel I am always make sure I dont come into contact with any blight infected plants before going inside but I do leave doors open on hot days even when there is blight around on outdoor crops. So far I've been OK (well until I posted this anyway  :D)

JayG

• Global Moderator
All about playing the percentages - blight spores are airborne so a GH or PT reduces the chances of them landing on your tomatoes.

They also need the leaves to be wet for 8-12 hours in order to germinate, which is why it's always best to water from underneath or at the base of the plants.

Also a good idea to move or even remove any leaves which are touching the sides of the GH or PT, as they can trap condensation for many hours, especially on damp, sunless days.

Not had blight in the GH for the 11 years I've had it (said he, typing one-handed with the other gripping the top of his (wooden) desk!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

we grow toms and cuc in one greenhouse and flower plants in the other greenhouse and poly tunnel had no probs and things have taken of quite well in both this season

just one downside i had to use our large poly tunnel for storage i can't wait to get that back for growing  :D

xx
Potato Blight in polytunnel

Started by ssc on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 16:27
by Iain@JBA
xx
polytunnel or greenhouse! I know a polyhouse

Started by markygreenfingers on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 17:15
by markygreenfingers
xx
blight in greenhouse

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 07:52
by jennyb
xx
Blight in the greenhouse ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 15:26
by wellingtons

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 36 queries.