Sweetcorn query

• 7 Replies

Benallen2000

Sweetcorn query
« on: August 09, 2021, 21:04 »
Hi, it’s our first year with an allotment and we have about 20 sweetcorn plants and all look to be doing well.  Upon googling when they are ripe I discovered it’s when the tassels go brown and the kernel produces the correct colour and consistency juice when punctured. The tassels have definitely gone brown but when I peeled back the skin, they didn’t look yellow enough so I didn’t even try and puncture one. Shall I just wait a bit longer until they yellow up or have I missed something? Cheers
901E63BF-1E73-4FBB-9DAE-2F509C75FCC0.jpeg

Hampshire Hog

Re: Sweetcorn query
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 08:39 »
Yes you’ll have to wait a little longer. Keep checking them because if you aren’t careful pests harvest them before you do but they need time & SUNSHINE to ripen fully. Mine are in the same condition apart from the one attacked by a rabbit!!
Good luck HH
Keep digging

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 09:00 »
"In the final growth stage, the cluster of silk turns brown and dries out as the ear begins to ripen to maturity. Also, the ear will start to angle away from the stalk. When you grasp the ear, a ripening ear of corn will transition from hard to soft as it nears maturity. The tip of the ear also changes from a definite point to a more blunted end. In this stage, the juice from the kernels changes as well. When pricked, ripe kernels will produce a milky white substance. If the fluid is clear, it’s not ready; if no fluid runs at all, it’s past maturity and likely inedible."

https://journeywithjill.net/gardening/2019/07/30/when-to-harvest-sweet-corn/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:30 by mumofstig »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 09:32 »
I don’t know why they mention the tassels turning brown, yes that happens before they are ready, but it’s like saying that runner beans are ready when the flowers fall off. Nowadays I go by the shape of the cob as mentioned above. While it remains smoothly tapered it shows the kernels are still developing. Once you can discern a pronounced end to the cob it shows the kernels at the end have developed fully. Had my first today and despite the poor weather it was sweet and delicious. Good luck with yours.

Benallen2000

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2021, 10:05 »
Thanks everyone. I’m away next week so maybe I will come back to some lovely ripe corn.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 10:44 »
The tassels have definitely gone brown but when I peeled back the skin, they didn’t look yellow enough so I didn’t even try and puncture one.

Some varieties have creamy rather than yellow coloured kernels - the thumbnail test for milky juices is the most reliable way of making sure you catch them at the right time (other fingernails are usually available if preferred!  ;))
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

grinling

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 22:25 »
also tip might not fully ripen, so check further down

lettice

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 10:16 »
The best test is to do a quick nail squeeze of one of the kernels, once the tassels are turning brown and you can feel the cobs.
A careful tear back of a small part of the outer leaves is all that's required.
If its milky its ripe, clear it is not.

I've grown Golden Bantam for many years and last few years saved my own seed.
Like them as they produce three and four cobs per plant and for me have been a very reliable cropper.

This year I grew a new variety alongside my Golden Bantam, called Picasso.
One of those varieties that you can grow alongside other varieties with no quality or pollination issues.
The Picasso are growing well and have harvested a few plants so far and I'm pleased that they are producing three cobs per plant.
The plant and leaves is a mix of green and red and the corn is bicoloured, so white and yellow.
Did the nail test to determine they were ripe (seeing some white) and all were.
The taste was sweet and delicious.
My Golden Bantam did as well as ever, so very happy there, with four cobs per plants, so been a success trying a different crop alongside and will continue doing that next year with these two.
I did have some Golden Bantam on another part of my plot, just in case and to save true seed going forwards.

I always start off my plants from seed and give a batch to my Dad. I've done the same with him, doing the two varieties and he is having the same success.

A pic of the Picasso picked showing the red/green leaves and a closeup of the bicolour corn itself;
swettcorn picasso.jpg

xx
Another sweetcorn query

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 16:11
by gawk
xx
N.P.K query

Started by Nick36 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 13:57
by Snoop
xx
Compost query

Started by hen maiden on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 11:10
by lazydog
xx
compost query

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 15:24
by Christine

Page created in 0.634 seconds with 38 queries.