Asparagus planting

• 2 Replies

prakash_mib

Asparagus planting
« on: April 07, 2021, 12:46 »
Received crowns 10 minutes ago. Not happy that sent it out during very cold spell.
My bed is ready since January.
Question is when should they be planted? 
Should I leave them in the room with main spuds. Still chitting. And plant around apr 20th?
Needless to say that I am feeling now like a complete allotmenteer  :D
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
Re: Asparagus planting
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 13:15 »
Don't worry about the cold journey - won't affect them. I got mine last week and advice is to plant them as soon as you can after getting them.

This was a second lot I bought to expand my patch with and I soaked them in water overnight as I swear that was advice I received about five years ago when starting my first lot. Oddly now I can't find any reference to needing to do that! Anyway, I soaked them and planted the next day - just got the few years' wait now until the first harvest!   ::)

prakash_mib

Re: Asparagus planting
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 14:17 »
Don't worry about the cold journey - won't affect them. I got mine last week and advice is to plant them as soon as you can after getting them.

This was a second lot I bought to expand my patch with and I soaked them in water overnight as I swear that was advice I received about five years ago when starting my first lot. Oddly now I can't find any reference to needing to do that! Anyway, I soaked them and planted the next day - just got the few years' wait now until the first harvest!   ::)
Thanks. Watched Monty’s video and he says the same. Soaking it overnight. Will do it on Friday

xx
Re planting asparagus

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 15:16
by stompy
xx
Asparagus planting

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 07, 2006, 12:03
by adekun
xx
planting asparagus

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 20:53
by DavidT
xx
planting asparagus

Started by lucylou on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 23:15
by lucylou

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 34 queries.